Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is the Ford Contour a good car?

Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 04:34 PM   #1  
Huxley
Is the Ford Contour a good car?

Is the Ford Contour a good car? Will it hold up in time?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 05:51 PM   #2  
Joe_F
In short, no. It's lackluster, cheaply screwed together and problematic---indicative of many Ford products.

If you must buy small, buy Japanese. However, buying small nets you cheap iron all over compared to midsize and large cars.

Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 05:58 PM   #3  
fuller911
I'd stay away if I were you. I've had a few friends that HAD them if you know what I mean. I personally would stay away from any American mid-size now a days. If you can afford it, the new Impala's are good I hear.

Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 10:05 PM   #4  
knuckles
I agree w/ the other guys. We had 1000s of them over the years & they weren't very impressive.

A brief list of their problems:

Cooling system issues.

Timing belt issues.

Transmission problems.

Electronic Engine Control problems.

Variable Cam Timing problems.

They also don't hold their value very well, which gives you a pretty good indication of what the used car market thinks of them.

OH

12-13-02, 09:40 AM   #5  
Every car has it's problems. My wife bought one brand new in 1999, and has had zero problems with it up to this point. *knock on wood* Just changed the oil every 3k miles, and replaced the tires once, but other than that, no major problems at all.

Visiting Guest

12-13-02, 11:07 AM   #6  
fordman30
trouble

stay away from it and runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Visiting Guest

12-13-02, 06:51 PM   #7  
knuckles
Every car has it's problems.
Your wife's car is the exception rather than the rule. Research the Contour/Mistake...oops, I mean Mystique on the web & you'll see it has a less than stellar reliability record.

The 6 cyl. SVT w/ 5 speed trans is fun to drive but still plagued with sevice issues as well as saddled w/ clunky styling.

Visiting Guest

12-13-02, 11:04 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Not to mention both the Contour and Mystique are not produced anymore .

Both obsolete to my knowledge. That should tell you something.

I'm with Knuckles on this one. The bus beats this thing for relibility by a landslide.

Search this Thread