Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

check engine light

Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 09:38 PM   #1  
bloodyknuckles
check engine light

I am looking for any reasons as to why this light keeps coming on, obvious or not. any ideas? it is a late yr 95 Grand Am.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 09:59 PM   #2  
knuckles
Take it to Autozone & let them scan the PCM for trouble codes. Record the codes & post them here. We'll tell you what they mean & their possible causes.

Visiting Guest

12-12-02, 07:51 AM   #3  
bloodyknuckles
thanks for the input, but I already tried that. Apparently since I have the late yr 95, it is the "rare" one, the one with a different numbered pin connector. according to them, the only way i can get it tstd is to take to the dealer, or another qualified mechanic which equals $$$. I was just looking for a few common areas to check. I will take it to a mech. if I have no other option. My only concern is that since I drive approx 45 min to and from work everyday, I want it to be dependable.

Visiting Guest

12-12-02, 09:50 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Choose another Autozone that has an OBDII scanner available and can scan the codes.

You probably have an early OBDII model and this particular store didn't have the right scanner/connectors for it.

Visiting Guest

12-14-02, 10:23 PM   #5  
1fireman
Just some food for thought.

The check engine light may come on because of a bad sensor.
When I installed a K&N filter in my car I forgot to reconnect the wire to the mass air flow sensor, causing the check engine light to come on, which would be similar to the sensor going out.

Visiting Guest

12-14-02, 10:39 PM   #6  
knuckles
The check engine light may come on because of a bad sensor.
It might also have come on due to any number of other problems. We won't know until the PCM is scanned for trouble codes.

12-15-02, 06:25 PM   #7  
bloodyknuckles your car is not OBD-II, that didn't start until '96, for the most part anyway. Go to

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

which is what Joe_F usually recommends. You're in luck, they have a LOT of info on your car. Even tells you how to retrieve the code.

Ichabod

Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 09:37 PM   #8  
knuckles
The '95 Grand Am is not OBD-II, but it still requires a scan tool for DTC retrieval.

It uses the old style 12 pin diagnostic terminal, but the "B" slot is empty, so you can't use a jumper wire to retrieve codes.

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 10:59 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Knuckles is correct.

Visiting Guest

01-29-03, 07:39 AM   #10  
absutton
check engine light

If you want to find out your trouble codes without spending a ton of $$$, just get your emissions checked for $25 and they will tell you the codes on the report.

Visiting Guest

01-29-03, 09:40 AM   #11  
Joe_F
True, but why? Autozone does it for free. Why have a failure report in the state's computer (not all states can tell you why it's on) to draw attention to your problem?

Search this Thread