'96 Explorer Auto Rear Door Lock Noise

Old 12-12-02, 06:17 PM
jpmaine
Visiting Guest
Unhappy '96 Explorer Auto Rear Door Lock Noise

Hi All! I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4door with rear hatch. When you put it into drive and move forward, the doors automatically lock and as of yesterday, the rear hatch door makes a loud spinning noise and doesn't lock now. The spinning noise happens each time the auto lock or manual lock button is activated. Noise is coming from the rear door hatch panel. Can I take the panel off and what would I be looking for to fix it?
I recieved excellent help last time from you folks and was able to fix my blower motor (where a mouse made it's home and clogged up the motor so it wouldn't work). Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-02, 10:28 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the door lock actuator is toast. It has plastic gears inside & they often strip. That's the noise you're hearing.

Remove the panel & follow the wires to the door lock actuator. Your Ford dealer should have one in stock.

Old 12-13-02, 09:15 AM
jpmaine
Visiting Guest
Thanks knuckles..will do.
Is there an easy way to take off rear door panel? or is it like taking off a front door panel? Thanks again!

Old 12-14-02, 06:10 AM
It's pretty much like a front door panel,a few screws and push pins.They make a door panel tool that would make it a little easier,but if you've done front panels i doubt if you'll have a problem with the rear one.