1984 Ford Ranger Blower Motor

Old 12-13-02, 10:27 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Question 1984 Ford Ranger Blower Motor

I have a 1984 Ranger with the 2.8LV6, AC, 4x4. I have replaced the blower motor, the old one kept blowing the fuse. Now the motor is either on or off, it only turns on when I get the switch in the high position. When it does turn on it seems like it is on low. I haven't replaced the switch yet. I just want to know if this might be the problem before I go to the junk yard and start digging again....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-02, 04:35 PM
Could be the switch or your blower motor resistor is shot. This controls all the speeds except high. Just helped someone else on another board with their 85. Double check this number with your Ford parts man. I think its good from 83 on up but not sure. FYI-the other guy got 3 bad ones from the salvage yards. Also check the connector on the resistor block...they like to melt.

85 Ranger with factory A/C
Part number E7TZ-19A706-A
In Stock..List Price $16.76

Old 12-13-02, 11:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a blower resistor problem, I agree.

Old 12-14-02, 10:41 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Would that also cause the blower motor to be so weak when on High?

Old 12-15-02, 12:04 AM
The only way to be certain is to do a voltage check on the circuits. The blower switch just provides 12V to each of the resistor positions or the blower motor. You could also have high resistence at your connectors, the plugs and connectors sometimes melt. Here's a diagram of the switch and resistor.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton.../85556w08L.jpg

Old 12-16-02, 07:23 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Beware of leaves

Well the new resistors are in and working marvelously, but one note of caution to all, and those buying used vehicles. Inside the hood where the resistors are mounted was packed full of leaves, and most of them had significant charring on them. If the resistors hadn't gone bad and heated up again they may have caused a fire. Be sure to clean any leaves out of your blower and air intake that you notice. To used car buyers, if you can I would suggest opening up the blower hood and cleaning out any leaves you may find. This may be difficult on many cars, but it may be well worth it if there are leaves packed in there.

Car fires are always a total loss.

Old 12-16-02, 07:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Spoken like a true fireman .

Good job on the repair and that's good advice.