Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Pontiac Grand Prix GT AIR pump

CT

12-13-02, 09:38 PM   #1  
96 Pontiac Grand Prix GT AIR pump

The fuse for my AIR pump keeps blowing on my 96 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (3.4 AT, AC). This of course causes the Service Engine light to come on. My scan tool tells my the issue is with the air pump. Great! But I can't find it. It's not belt driven. Any one have an idea where it's located? Or maybe an idea as to why the fuse keeps blowing?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-13-02, 10:07 PM   #2  
I would say it either has an internal problem or the wiring has a short. Here's the R&R procedure.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly.
Unfasten the 3 right side inner fender splash shield retaining bolts/screws. Remove the 2 inner fender support bracket bolts/screws.
Disconnect the air outlet hose from the electric air pump.
Detach the vacuum hose from the electric pulsair shut- OFF valve.
Remove the 3 air pump retaining bolts/screws.
Carefully lower the air pump assembly, then detach the 4-pin harness connector and the wiring harness clip.
Remove the electric air pump assembly.
Unfasten the electric pulsair shut- OFF valve bolt/screw from the pump bracket.
Detach the inlet hose and the 2-pin wire harness connector from the pulsair shut- OFF valve.
Remove the electric pulsair shut- OFF valve from the bracket.
To install:

Fasten the pulsair shut- OFF valve bolt/screw to the air pump bracket.
Attach the inlet hose and 2-pin wire harness connector to the pulsair shut- OFF valve.
Position the electric air pump assembly in the upper right front fender well while attaching the 4-pin harness connector.
Install the 3 air pump retaining bolts/screws.
Fasten the 4-pin harness connector body clip.
Attach the air outlet hose and vacuum hose.
Install the 2 inner fender support bracket bolts/screws and the 3 right side inner fender splash shield bolts/screws.
Install the right front wheel and tire assembly, then carefully lower the vehicle.
Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for proper system operation.

CT

12-14-02, 06:15 AM   #3  
THANKS, STEVO!!

Search this Thread