Engine missing - 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Old 12-14-02, 07:08 AM
twebb455
Visiting Guest
Engine missing - 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager

I have a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.3L V6. About a couple of months ago it started having a strong gas smell when it was first started. Now it's harder to start and still has the gas smell. Yesterday I noticed a loss in power and it is now missing. It will do it while driving down the road but is more noticeable when sitting at a stop. When accelerating you can here pops as it back fires. I also noticed the exhaust has a bad smell.
Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem? I'm wondering if it's a choke &/or timing issue.

Thanks for the insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-02, 07:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check for any ignition wires that look frayed or if you hear cracking/snapping at night. If so, the wires are bad (or possibly the coils if it's coil on plug).

Barring that, take it to any Autozone and see if they can pull out any trouble codes. I would take it the Check Engine light is on with this problem, so they should be able to extract codes.

Post what you find.

Old 12-14-02, 05:16 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
I would check the gap on your spark plugs since it is popping. Check your wires. I would also check to see if there is a code stored in the computer for a 'loss of crank sensor signal'.
Good Luck.

Old 12-17-02, 03:16 PM
twebb455
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I plan to take it by Auto Zone.

I've owned this vehicle long enough to require a couple of oil changes and learned that the air filter was not being checked even though that was part of the oil change package. It was pretty bad. I replaced it and the backfiring stoped, power increased, and the missing while driving down the road stoped but it still has a rough idle.
I took the battery cable off to reset the Computer. It still runs the same but now the mileage display, Transmission Gear Display, radio, and console all flash dim to bright. Also the outside park and tail lights are flashing. They are not as bright as the hazard flashers. What's up with that?

I pulled a spark plug and the gap was .055. Not sure what the correct gap is since I was not able to find it in the owners manual. They also look like they need replaced.

The vehicle has 74,000 miles on it. Is there any other maintenance that should be done? I'm guessing not much was done by the prior owner.

Thanks again.

Old 12-17-02, 03:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Plugs, cap and rotor (if so equipped), air, gas filters. Tranny fluid and filter change, PCV valve, oil and filter change, coolant, etc, etc, etc....check the owner's manual for the service intervals.

The underhood emission decal should have the spark plug gap on it...however, if you went through the trouble of pulling them out, you should change them .

Sounds like the vehicle was either a leased vehicle in the past or neglected as far as maintenance goes....