1999 Ford Ranger XLT?

Old 12-14-02, 11:42 AM
1999 Ford Ranger XLT?

Hello, Everyone, A friend of mine has this truck it has all electric windows and door locks! Recently when putting the key into the ignition (and Before turning the key) It would DING DING You know the sound that the seat belt is not on! It should not do that until the key is turned! And the idiot light would come on and say the door is ajar (when it is not) also the seat belt is on and secure! Well the Main concern is that the ceiling light will not go out even when you turn off the motor, eventually it will go out but am afraid it will not and kill the battery! Anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this, My friend kinda thinks its in the ignition wiring? but dont know and until he can get it fixed he also wanted to know how the ceiling light casing comes off so he can take out the bulbs? Any help would be appreciated Thanks Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-02, 11:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Has he recently installed any aftermarket parts? Like an alarm system, a CD deck, anything like that?

Old 12-14-02, 12:14 PM
SafeWatch
: No Nothing at all!

Old 12-14-02, 02:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You have a stuck or defective pin switch which will make that thing ding like a champ until it's fixed.

Lol. Ford have always had gazorches with door ajar/pin switch problems.

Squirt some WD40 in there and work them loose. Then see if the problem goes away. If not, change the switches...a few bucks at any dealer.

Barring that, problem in the GEM module, which on some models controls that function.

I'm for the pin switches first

Old 12-14-02, 03:22 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
ding ding

sounds like to me the door ajar switch is gone bad.my 97 mazda does the same thing

Old 12-14-02, 05:42 PM
Can you tell us where the DoorAjar Switch is located, it doesn't seem to do it all the time but its getting worse and we'd like to try squirting it with the WD40 first?

Old 12-14-02, 10:17 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The door switch is located on the back of the door latch. You can't see it w/o removing the door panel.

Simply open the door & hose down the inside of the latch mechanism with WD-40. Open & close the door several times. This often frees the switch. If it doesn't, you'll have to pull the door panel & replace the switch.

Old 12-14-02, 10:28 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
On fords the door switch is in the front side of the door Jam, on the frame side of the Jam. It is just a little button there. I had a similar problem on my 97 cougar, the button wasn't getting pushed in far enough anymore so I got some double stick tape and taped a penny to the door where it pushes on the switch. Problem solved and it only cost a penny.

Old 12-14-02, 10:56 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

The Ranger and many other Fords mount the door switch on the back of the latch, not on the door jamb.

Don't take my word for it. Click on the link below to view a page from the 1999 Ford Ranger EVTM.

http://www.batauto.com/techs/rangerdoorajar.gif

Old 12-14-02, 11:05 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
I stand corrected, my apologies.

Old 12-15-02, 06:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Actually, I didn't know there was a 97 Cougar . 1996 is the last year as a rear driver coupe and then it comes back in 1999 as the little tyke that you see on the road now

Old 12-15-02, 07:18 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
yeah they made a very limited number of them, and didn't give lots of options, I think they only made the xr7 package with the V8, at least those are the only ones Ive ever seen. no changes from the '96.

Old 12-15-02, 08:31 AM
knuckles: Is the Door Latch the yellow section or is it the one below it on the diagram? And do you think he can spray in there without taking the door panel off? I am having trouble seeing the print, (Bad Eyes)!

Old 12-15-02, 01:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fireman:

According to Champion they had the V8 and V6 in the '97 Cougar.

My memory must be slipping (have a cold today) as I thought 96 was the last year for the rear drive coupes like this. Lol.

Old 12-15-02, 09:41 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
tomtom59:

The switch is located on the back of the latch & can't be seen w/o removing the panel.

To free the switch, spray WD-40 or another light lubricant/penetrant in to the EXPOSED portion of the latch.

The exposed portion is the part you see when you open the door.

Joe_F:

1997 was the last year for the rear drive T-Bird/Cougar.

Old 12-16-02, 04:45 AM
Knuckles, Thank You i will relay the message to my friend and he will try it, also the Print out of the picture turned out much better than the picture on this screen of the Door! And Thanks to all for your input, will let you know how it turns out! Tom

Old 12-16-02, 10:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, 97 is the last year.

The Cougar returned as the little tyke we see on the road in 1999, and the T-Bird returned with a 3.9 V8 in 2002.

Old 12-16-02, 07:52 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
yepo. The new cougars suck, and the T-birds are pretty darn cool. They get like 250 horses out of that little 3.9.

Old 08-31-09, 04:06 PM
Lightbulb

hey my best friend has a 1999 ford ranger xlt and he wrecked it and bent the front of his frame. i was just wondering if anyone knew approximatly how much it would cost to get it fixed and if any of you live in kansas where he should go. im wanting to fix it for his birthday but i dont really know where to start. please help me if u can. thanks