Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil filter wrench

MD

12-14-02, 02:52 PM   #1  
oil filter wrench

hello again
i have a 2001 nissan sentra gxe.i need a tip on getting the right oil filter wrench. the reasson i use one is b/c i'm an old guy who still likes to tinker but don't have the strength anymore. to get the filter off and on like i use to by hand i need to cheat.in the store i have had a filter in my hand and put a filter wrench (looks like a cup) on the filter and it seems snug-when i'm under the car it won't grab-i've been lucky to date by shimming etc.
there is room only for one hand and you can't get 'directly' under the filter as it is about a foot forward of where i can insert my hand-i'm not sure if a strap wrench will make it.
does the dealer sell the appropriate wrench,do you know, or can you offer me a tip so i can tighten and loosen the filter. i can turn it almost but not quite to the 3/4 turn and definitely not a full turn which i like.
answer or not you all run a great forum here-i went to the sites you recommended and they are worth their weight in gold.
have a good one.
pete

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-14-02, 03:18 PM   #2  
fordman30
oil filter wrench

they have oil filter wrenches that is called 2 or 3 fingers wrenches .they are made out of steel that snaps on a 3/8 drive ratchet.the harder you pull the tighter they grip.they come in big small size.you will need the small one .they are about 10.00 each.this the kind i use for myself.they dont slip were you can bust your knuckles.......hahahahahaha hope this enough info.this wrench i am talking about on loosen thems. far tighten them i recommend get a metal band oil filter wrench with a swivel head on it....have a good christmas pete

MD

12-14-02, 03:21 PM   #3  
wrench

thanx Fordman and a blessed Christmas to you
pete

Visiting Guest

12-14-02, 03:48 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I have a K-D swivel strap type wrench which works on all of the smaller diameter filters for my GM cars, and also works on other makes too.

My 79 Trans Am uses the larger Delco style filter, so for that one, I break out my dad's old strap wrench...works fine (because there's plenty of room ).

Some of the imports have a really small filter (Toyota Camry comes to mind). I suppose the parts stores have an appropriate filter wrench for that.

A pair of Channel Lock pliers works in a pinch too .

Visiting Guest

12-14-02, 04:06 PM   #5  
Dan Meyer
I have a whole collection of oil filter wrenches. The one I find best is the "cup" type that uses a 3/8" socket wrench. I've tried the metal "strap" wrenches , but with the newer cars there just isn't any room to rotate the handle to tighten the strap. Sometimes I've had to use a piece of two way tape on the inside of the "cup" just to keep it snug (different brands of filters don't seem to be exactly the same size). If you have several cars like I do that use different size filters, it may seem an expense to buy several size cup wrenches, but in the long run it's the best way.
But I would like to point out that a filter should only be HAND tightened - a wrench isn't needed. The wrench is only needed to get them off.

MD

12-15-02, 08:39 AM   #6  
filter wrench

thanx joe and dan for the help-i picked up a strap wrench this am that looks like it will give me that extra little ooomph i had in my 50's. it also will fit as easy as yesterday-re: the titening, i know it's supposed to be hand titened but mr arthritis speaks up in the cold-anyway, happy holidays.
ps- i got an interesting messege from another fossil who said to use water pump pliers with an old rag being careful not to nick it-sounds interesting on a tractor at least.

12-17-02, 09:39 AM   #7  
and..........

Is it true some techs punch holes in the upside down filters like on Camrys before they unscrew them?

Visiting Guest

12-17-02, 10:53 AM   #8  
fordman30
oil filter wrench

Some times they do but, that is mainly on diesel oil filters.Because they carry so much more oil than regular cars and trucks

Visiting Guest

12-17-02, 11:27 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Most times you need to punch a hole in a filter on a car is becuase it is stuck and you use a screwdriver jammed into it for leverage to remove it. That's a last resort.

Usually, they will come right off with most wrenches.

Search this Thread