Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford Bronco stops

Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 12:52 PM   #1  
Guz
Ford Bronco stops

Hi.
I have a 1985 Ford Bronco full size 4x4, with carburator, 5.8 engine 8 cilinders (51 windsor?), automatic.
Each time a make a stop or I reduce my speed the engine stops or is about to stop when I acelerate again. This is very dangerous when I try to make a turn and the engine stops just in the midle of the street!
Please help, thank you in advance.

PS
Motor oil and gasoline are at the right level.

Sponsored Links

12-15-02, 01:30 PM   #2  
if you do not no much about carburaters i would suggest you take to a shop and have checked over and tuned up if hasn't ben done recently, they will adjust the carb and make sure your timing is still set at specs and it may have to have carb rebuilt, i would call around a few shops and make sure they are familiar and capable of rebuilding the carb before taking it in, most likely has a holley 4 barrel carb on it.

Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 01:36 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with BeJay.

Yes, it is Holley 4 barrel equipped. Very pesky and inefficient carburetor.

Visiting Guest

12-17-02, 03:46 AM   #4  
Guz
Thank you

Someone told me to put the carb in the trash can and go for full injection... is this a good idea?

12-17-02, 06:10 AM   #5  
i would suggest sticking with the holley carb wether than going to all the trouble to convert it to injection, if your carb needs rebuilt have it rebuilt.

Visiting Guest

12-17-02, 11:44 AM   #6  
Joe_F
If it's carbed leave it that way, as BeJay suggested. It would be cheaper to pitch it and find one with MFI injection on it, already fatory equipped.

As he said, find somone competent in rebuilding carbs and they should be able to straighten it out----assuming all the tuneup and other items (timing, compression, etc) are straight.

Search this Thread