Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Keyless Remote for a Honda CRV

TN

12-15-02, 07:54 PM   #1  
Keyless Remote for a Honda CRV

I recently bought a 2001 Honda CRV EX. I purchased an extra remote transmitter on eBay. I followed the instructions I found at two other sites, but they do not work. Basically those instructions said to turn on the ignition then turn it off, then press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter. It does have a battery in it and the LED lights when the buttons are pressed. I tried removing then replacing the battery as well as a variety of combinations (eg., leaving the ignition on) but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Thanks. Bob

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 11:09 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Are you sure the transmitter is the right one? It may not be!

Barring that, check Autolibrary.org through the "Read this before posting" link at the top of the forum page, but I do not think they have that information.

Usually, it's just a matter of the proper sequence and instruction for the lock module to recognize the new transmitter.

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 08:12 PM   #3  
otter_
you may have to go to your dealer to get the transmitter programmed to the vehicle. This rings true with most mid/high end gm product.

TN

12-26-02, 08:39 PM   #4  
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to let you know I found a website that had the info I needed. I just tried the instructions and they worked. The website is "www.HandA-Accessories.com". And yes, the spelling is correct. Evidently they were barred frm using "Honda" in their URL. Thanks again. Bob

Visiting Guest

12-28-02, 01:44 AM   #5  
espgreen
Originally posted by BobHammer
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to let you know I found a website that had the info I needed. I just tried the instructions and they worked. The website is "www.HandA-Accessories.com". And yes, the spelling is correct. Evidently they were barred frm using "Honda" in their URL. Thanks again. Bob
Great to hear a successful result.
What were the instructions for programming the new remote control?

TN

12-28-02, 07:50 AM   #6  
Basically these are the instructions from the aforementioned website:

1. Have all of the remotes available. This includes any remotes that currently work as these steps will, I believe, reset the codes in the car's receiver. Also, while the instructions say up to three remotes can be programmed, with my vehicle only two could be.

2. Be sure, while you are sitting in the vehicle, that all doors, trunks, etc are closed.

3. You only need to use one remote during these first steps to put the receiver in programming mode.

4. Each step must be completed in 5 seconds.

5. Turn the key to the "ON" position, marked by "II" on the ignition switch bezel. All dash indicator lights should come on.

6. Within 5 seconds press the "LOCK" button on the remote for one second and release.

7. Turn the key to the "OFF" position marked by "I" on the ignition switch bezel.

8. Repeat steps 5 through 7 three more times for a total of four times, except DO NOT TURN OFF IGNITION SWITCH THE FOURTH TIME - leave it on. The last time you press the "LOCK" button on the remote, you should hear a cycling sound ("clunk") from the locks. Locks will not yet lock or unlock now. The system is in programming mode.

9. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode, and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button for a second or so and release, on each remote you are programming.

10. Turn off ignition and remove key. You should now be able to lock and unlock the vehicle with each of the remotes.

Visiting Guest

12-29-02, 04:14 AM   #7  
espgreen
Originally posted by BobHammer
Basically these are the instructions from the aforementioned website:

Thanks for that Bob. The instructions were really useful and a good insight into how these things work.

Very, very helpful.

Search this Thread