how to set timing

Old 12-16-02, 06:22 AM
chilango69
Visiting Guest
how to set timing

hello this problem I have is normal but anyways my friend who keeps working on hes truck for some reason pull the distribuitor on the truck and have me work on it and now I go it runing but the only problem is when I try to set the correct timing the mark on the pulley don't aling with the numbers so I try move the distribuitor side to side and still not show the mark ?you think I install the distribuitor wrong?is not in the correct position?is one gear off? do Ihave to remove it again? this truck is a ford F-150 1995 4.9engine firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 is this correct?
this is the procces the I used to install the distribuitor I crank the engine till i have the number one cyl. in compression make sure the pulley is on t.d.c and buala is this correct ? insert the distribuitor with rotor pointing number one on the cap ? I think this is much what I did if this is correct ? can some one give me and advise please!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-02, 09:43 AM
If its starting and running, the dist. is probably installed correctly. The problem is, on a 95, the ECM is going to be controlling the timing, so any changes you make, it is taking out. What you need to do is set the base timing, which requires disconnecting a wire to keep the computer from adjusting the timing. Any shop manual should have instructions on how to do this. Unfortunately I'm a GM man, so have never set the timing on a Ford so can't give you exact instructions. Hope this is at least some help!

Old 12-16-02, 10:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Craig is correct.

At the top of the forum page is "read this before posting". In there, is a link to autolibrary.org

Use that to find how to set the timing.