Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rivet removal

GA

12-16-02, 09:21 AM   #1  
Rivet removal

I have a 1996 Buick Skylark with 3.1l engine. I need to replace the ball joint on the drivers side. Only problem is that the one that is on it has rivets to hold it in. What is the best way to get these off without too much difficulty?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 10:33 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The best way is with an air compressor's "Whiz wheel" (cutoff tool). You'll just chop off the rivets and push what's left through the hole.

The new ball joint will come with hardware (bolts and nuts) to replace the rivets.

Otherwise, it's the old hammer and chisel trick, and let me tell you, that's not fun. LOL.

Last method: Take the whole control arm out and bring it to a parts store. They will R&R the old ball joint for you and give you back the control arm with the new ball joint in it. Then, put the control arm back into the car.

In all cases, make sure you get a wheel alignment when the job is done.

Visiting Guest

12-17-02, 10:37 PM   #3  
knuckles
Rivet removal

An air chisel is by far the easiest way to remove the balljoint rivets.

If you don't have an air chisel, simply center punch the rivet heads & drill the rivets out.

Start with a small drill bit & work your way up until the bit cuts the head off of the rivet. Then use a punch or drift to drive the remaining portion of the rivet from the control arm & ball joint.

Search this Thread