Same Ranger, next project.

Old 12-16-02, 08:19 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Cool Same Ranger, next project.

1984 Ranger, 2.8V6 W/factory AC, 4x4.

Gas Gauge isn't working. Tried replacing the gauge set, no effect. I didn't expect it to, but it was worth a shot. I think all I need is a wiring diagram and I will check the connections on the tank. I tried to lookup a diagram myself on

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual...odelLookup.html

but it wouldn't let me in.

BTW: i just bought this sucker for my winter beater for 500 bucks, runs great, just has some minor probs that the guy couldn't deal with.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-02, 08:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely a bad sender in the tank or a shorted ground.

1984 might be too old for Autolibrary. The sender might be still available from Ford. Check the grounds closely for looseness and corrosion first before diving into the sender.

Old 12-16-02, 11:02 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I agree w/ Joe_F. Another possibility is corrosion on the sender connector. Pretty common on these trucks. New connector kits are available from your Ford dealer & most auto parts stores.

FYI, the easiest way to access the sender is to remove the truck bed.

Old 12-17-02, 08:33 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the hints guys. I'm suddenly not laid off anymore so I won't get to it till the weekend. I'll be sure to report back when I get going.

Old 12-18-02, 08:02 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well I got the six bolts out that hold the bed down. Just have to take off the wires and Fuel fill pipe. Any suggestions on maintenance I should do while I have that off. I plan on changing the fluid in the rear end and the transfer case. I'm also going to hit as many of the grease fittings as possible.

Old 12-19-02, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you want to help stop corrosion, you could hit any exposed rust areas with POR15 which is an epoxy like rust preventative. DO NOT get it on your hands as it will have to wear off, soap will not remove it.

It will stop the rust that's forming on anything. Check it out at www.por15.com

I use it on my Pontiacs and it's worked nicely.

Old 12-19-02, 09:14 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Well I had to scrap replacing the sender in the fuel tank. Ford said it would be a little over $200. I'll just carry a little gas can with me. I checked the fluid levels in the front/rear ends, transfer case, and transmission. Front end was way low, I stuck my finger in and down as far as I could, about an inch, and no oil. Rear end was good, transfer case was good, and tranny was a little low. How much of a beotch is it to replace the seals on the front end. Seemed like plenty of room to work up there. Also, is there a filter I need to change in a manual tranny?

Old 12-19-02, 09:38 PM
there is no filter on a manual transmission you just drain and refill to service.
did you check around at any other parts store besides ford for the sending unit?
did you see any leaks on the front differential where it may of leaked out a pinion seal isnt that difficult to change but an axle seals would take a while.

Old 12-19-02, 10:01 PM
Check with the on-line junkyards. You may be able to find a sending unit in one of them. Many have nationwide searchs available.

Old 12-19-02, 10:15 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The front axle shaft seals are pretty easy to replace if you're handy w/ a set of tools & you have a good service manual.

The pinion seal is a little harder to replace correctly. To do it right, you'll need to remove the front diff. from the case. This is a real PITA on TTB trucks such as yours.

There is a 'flat rate' method for replacing the front pinion seal. It usually works, but can be disastrous if you're not careful.

Old 12-20-02, 01:37 AM
Here's my 2 cents!

The sender unit can be had for $87 to $110 depending on tank size at www.fordpartsonline.com

You can also try www.car-part.com for used ones. Do a search for fuel tanks. You would have to email the salvage yard to make sure.

You can also put a request for a used one on www.junkyarddog.com

You could have the old one fixed.

Last of all you could install a universal one from someone like Borg Warner.

Old 12-20-02, 07:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Stevo, Knuckles and BeJay. You should be able to fix the gas gauge.

DO NOT carry an extra fuel tank in the vehicle. You could cause an explosion, spillage, etc. As a fireman, ya should know that . If anything, carry a can of that safety fuel they have on the market which will get you to a gas station in a pinch.

If it were my truck, the fuel gauge is worth fixing at all costs, as it's a PITA to drive around not knowing how much fuel you have.

You should be able to find a good price on one or fix your exisiting one if you do your homework.

Old 12-21-02, 07:27 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
I would never carry a fuel tank inside a vehicle where the fumes could build up, but a gas can strapped down in the open box of a truck in the winter will never build up enough fumes to reach the lower explosive limit for gasoline. In the hot summer it might, but not in the winter.

Thanks for all the hints, I will follow up over the weekend here and get back to you.

Old 12-21-02, 08:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Never say never . That's how accidents happen.

You're on the right track to fixing the gas gauge, so go with that.

Old 12-21-02, 04:01 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Well i added a couple ounces of gear lube to the rear, it probably didn't need any. I put nearly 18 ounces into the front. The leak appears to be leaking out of the right shaft. The left and drive shafts aren't oily. My manual tells me the front axle is a dana 28, the picture it gives me is a little vauge. I was surprised, the transmission took a ton of lube, the rest of my quart, and it still wasn't full. I believe the gasket on the bottom cover is what is leaking. Ford parts needed to order one and no one else had one, so I am going to replace that. Anything I should look for in the tranny while I have the cover off? I don't know if I have the proper tools to replace that seal on the front end, do I need any special tools to do it, and should I replace all three while I'm at it?

Yes joe your right, it is a PITA not knowing how much fuel I have. If I can find a sender for under $100 I will jump all over it.

BTW, my manual says the transfer case uses dexron II AT fluid, I assume dexron III will suffice just fine, I want to drain and replace that while I'm tinkering.

Old 12-21-02, 08:40 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dexron III replaces II and satisfies all requirements of II.

What does the manual say about the seal replacement? How about Autolibrary? Which manual are you using?

As for the sender, have you checked the links Stevo gave you?

Old 12-21-02, 09:37 PM
Fireman, try going to this link for some axle info and keep smiling! If thats an auto tranny you should be replacing the filter also. the filter,gasket and any other seals needed come as a kit. $10/$15 or so.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton...H07_5_IDX.HTML

Old 12-22-02, 08:13 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Im using a chilton repair manual, but it is a 1989 edition, kinda vauge in the instructions. Thanks for that link stevo, exactly what I need.

As far as those sites go, I've put in a request at Junkyard dog, and the ford site doesn't mention anything about the sender, just tanks and pumps, I don't know if a new gas tank comes with one or not.

It is a manual tranny stevo.

I will dig in a little bit more before christmas here and let everyone know what is up.

Old 12-22-02, 09:06 PM
At www.fordpartsonline.com you sometimes have to look in the unexpected areas.
1) Use the "Mechanical" catalog.
2) Select "Electrical"
3) Select "Chassis Electrical"
4) Select "Senders"
5) Select "Fuel Gauge Sending Unit"
6) Select "Ranger"
7) Select "2.8L"

And you should get this screen.

Electrical, Chassis Electrical, Senders, Fuel Gauge Sending Unit,
Ranger, 2.8L, W/14 Gal Tank $112.43 $87.70

Electrical, Chassis Electrical, Senders, Fuel Gauge Sending Unit, Ranger, 2.8L, W/17 Gal Tank $141.27 $110.19

Merry Christmas and good luck.

Old 12-24-02, 11:49 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Thanks stevo, I would have never found it there. That is a much better price than what ford told me, I ordered it and hopefully I can put it in this weekend if it gets here in time, who knows with all the holiday mail. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.

I hope all of you have a Safe and Happy holiday season. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-02, 03:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likewise

Old 12-30-02, 04:30 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Well I still haven't gotten those parts from Fordpartsonline, but I did an oil change and got a new rotor/cap, plugs and wires. The oil was brand new when I bought the truck, remember how I said I put some sea foam in the crankcase, well It sure cleaned some junk out, there was tons of crap dripping out of the crankcase when I drained it and changed the filter. I flushed a couple quarts of new oil through and refilled it. This thing idles like a dream now. If I can ever get those other parts I will have one reliable winter junker.

Old 12-31-02, 07:23 PM
They are not always the fastest but I have used them a number of times when I plan ahead for major work. Can't hardly beat the prices. They do alot of business.