Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Parking brake light woes....

12-18-02, 10:03 AM   #1  
Parking brake light woes....

Ok first off

1) Vehicle 1999 Dodge Caravan SE, 4- speed overdrive automatic Transmission (41te), 3.3 Liter engine, Short Wheelbase

2) When the van is under spirited driving (hard braking, turning, accelerating etc.) the parking brake light comes on and goes off when the driver calms down. now I'm not talking "spirited" as in tires screeching and bodies flying but I mean slightly more then gentle driving (taking an off ramp at 50 km/h instead of the posted 30km/h type of driving). Is this some kind of warning light telling me to cool it, it's only a minivan or is it something else?

2) I've also noticed that the power accesories such as blower motor for the heat and A/C, defrost seem to slow down when the idle slows down and speed up when I accelerate is this normal? It is very noticeable.

3) None yet I just got the van. It has a new accessory belt(Gatorback if it matters) I didn't notice the brake light thing before the new belt went in becaus eI was baby driving it (hole in the previous belt)

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-18-02, 10:11 AM   #2  
Joe_F
No, it most likely means there is hydraulic failure in the system and must be corrected at once.

The brakes may simply be worn out or there's a leak. Must be fixed at once. Not normal.

As for the charging system issue, yes and no. It is normal for the alt. output to be lower when going slower as the alt. is not turning as fast to put out max. output.

Do a load test on it as shown in my "The Basics" post below.

Tell us what you find.

12-18-02, 10:34 AM   #3  
Originally posted by Joe_F
No, it most likely means there is hydraulic failure in the system and must be corrected at once.
Is the parking brake regularly tied to the Hydraulic brake system? I thought it was just a cable that pulled the shoes on the rear drums? Either way I'm going to the dealer tonight.

Visiting Guest

12-18-02, 02:35 PM   #4  
Joe_F
It is, but it's not likely to be your problem. It sounds like a low fluid level due to hydraulic or friction failure/wear.

12-18-02, 04:34 PM   #5  
More than likely the brake fluid is a little low and spirited driving is causing the fluid to slosh back and forth turning on the red brake warning lamp.

12-19-02, 04:44 AM   #6  
Originally posted by davo
More than likely the brake fluid is a little low and spirited driving is causing the fluid to slosh back and forth turning on the red brake warning lamp.
You are smack on I found out there is no baffle in the Master cylinder and the fluid sloshes around. Thanks guys.

Oh and By the way I forced the shop to do a load test (actually I started doing it myself with there equipement since they didn't want to since they had just tested it) and the alternator is in fact dead as well. Seems like I bought a lemon with all the things dying on it but hey I got 30 days left of complaining and 3 year warranty so it should cover me

Thanks again.

Search this Thread