87 baretta/steamgenerator

Old 12-19-02, 04:34 AM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
Question 87 baretta/steamgenerator

trying to figure this one out for some time now. 2.8 auto 87 barreta new thermostat ,5th radiator cap cant find one any were that will continue to hold 16 lbs. like there supposed to .after a week they'll only hold 10 to 13 lbs. new radiator hoses 6month old heater core . hot or cold this car will fill the overflow tank in 10 min. idleing or 2 to 3 miles driving, fill it up you gota do it again and again . no oil in the water or vise versa and her dad used something to check the coolent for signs of a crack , no signs? holds pressure overnite. now its a steam generator it leaves a quarter mile steam tail. also the plugs look ok and compressions good. were hoping its tho throtlebody .he's got one. could that be it? or does any one have any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-02, 08:01 AM
tedn333
Visiting Guest
Check with mechanic but I think what you describe indicates a blown head gasket or intake manifold gasket.

Old 12-19-02, 09:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the condition of the water pump? How does the coolant look like?

You could also have a defective thermostat (even if it's new).

Old 12-19-02, 10:08 AM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
first tedn333 cooling system hold presure, compression is good plugs are clean any ideas how to tell if its a head or intake gasket with those result? joe waterpump is the only part that isnt new. i figureit should be good considering how much coolent it gushes out if yuo dont have the cap on. im i correct? coolent looks fine of course its only 4 or 5 days .well im going out to go over it .im going to double check everything . ill get back with you after that. thanx

Old 12-19-02, 11:27 AM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
thermostat open at 185 to 190 thats just below the norm flushed it out going bald pulling out my hair

Old 12-19-02, 11:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you changed the radiator cap? A defective one will cause overheating.

Do the electric fans kick on?

Old 12-19-02, 12:29 PM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

yes joe its like the 5th cap . but its finaly got water in the oil. i know thats bad bot atleast we got somewere to check now ill get back here in a couple of days to let you know were we are thanx for all the help

Old 12-19-02, 06:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Water in the oil is a blown head gasket. Unless the car is worthy of a rebuilt engine (the coolant leak has likely also wiped out the lower end), and in great shape, pitch the car and spend your dollars on a replacement vehicle.

These were cheaply screwed together, crude, rough cars.

Old 12-19-02, 09:59 PM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
i agree with the fact that there not worth a complete rebuild but the bottom end is only ayear old and the water wasent there yesterday . so were gona open it up and see .thanx again ill let you know how it goes

Old 12-24-02, 07:31 PM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
well guys its a head gasket. her dad reused the old one when he did the bottom end thanks for the help and have a merry xmas

Old 12-24-02, 08:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I'm with you, I'm perplexed.

It's like using your sweaty gym shorts for a date. LOL

Old 01-08-03, 12:57 AM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

hey guys headgaskets done. after all that the thing still filled the overflow. turnes out the tube the radiator cap goes on was warped and worn. thanx again and hope this might save someone else the headache it caused me.

Old 01-08-03, 11:52 AM
a re-used head gasket could have likely showed up in the future anyway. So I wouldn't put it at time wasted.

Old 01-08-03, 05:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree. Reusing almost any gasket is a wrong service operation.

Generally, once gaskets are compressed they are wiped and cannot be reused (there are exceptions).

Old 01-08-03, 11:26 PM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
i agree completly i would never open anything without gakets in hand . its that coolant tube that threw me.but frontwheel might as well be foreign to me. but i can usualy tell ya whats wrong with an old dodge from twenty feet . later