Light Switch on Lincoln

Old 12-20-02, 07:14 PM
James A
Visiting Guest
Question Light Switch on Lincoln

Hello everyone. I have a 91 Lincoln Towncar with a bad main light switch. Not funny going down the road at night and having the lights go out.

Any one with an idea of the easy way to replace the switch or do I have to remove the entire dash?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-02, 07:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, just the panels and fascia on the dash (bezels) if anything.

Look at the autolibrary.org link which can be found through "The Basics" below.

Old 12-20-02, 07:57 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Remove the knob from the switch lever.

Remove the 12 screws retaining the finish panel.

Remove the finish panel (this is the big woodgrain plastic piece that runs the length of the inst. panel).

Remove the headlamp switch bracket from the inst. panel assy.

Remove the nut that holds the switch to the bracket.

Installation is the reverse of the above.

It's an easy job. Should take less than 1/2 hour.

Be gentle when removing the finish panel. Position the steering wheel in the "full down" position to give you max. room to remove the panel w/o breaking it.

Old 12-21-02, 03:27 AM
James A
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 91 Lincoln light switch

Thanks for the reply. The last switch I replaced was on a 78 Town Car with exactly the same problem. Doesn't sound like it's changed much since then but I've never done anything to the 91 and didn't know. Thanks again.

Old 12-21-02, 08:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No it has not. In fact, most rear drive Fords are done the same way, as are most rear drive GM's.

Old 12-21-02, 11:55 AM
James A
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Working on the Lincoln Light Switch

I have removed the old switch and it appears that the plug, not the switch has signs to burning or being very hot on one of the terminals. I hooked up the new switch and turned the lights on with the motor running. Left them on for about 10 minutes and it's very HOT. Burned my finger. That can't be right, can it? Indication of a short somewhere?

Old 12-21-02, 03:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might choose to get a new connector from the parts store for it or from Ford.

As I recall, the Fords had a problem with the connector melting on that model and they may have a revised connector.

Check alldata.com for any bulletins or recalls that pertain to this.

Old 12-21-02, 09:32 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree w/ Joe_F.

The headlamp switch connector/pigtail assembly is available from your Ford dealer or any decent auto parts store. It's common problem w/ many Fords.

Old 12-21-02, 09:49 PM
Thumbs up

Yes, do the connector! You will still probably notice that the switch gets hot...but thats a high current circuit.

Old 12-22-02, 09:08 AM
James A
Visiting Guest
Lincoln Light Switch

Thanks for all your advice. I will take it. It is a little surprizing to me that auto makers know about certain problems for years and continue to use the same parts and have the same problems over and over. Oh well. I guess we buyers don't yell loud enough. Thanks again.

Old 12-22-02, 03:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ford also had a problem with the alternator connector melting on some models as well. In turn, they have revised the parts for this too.

That era Town Car is an oil burning, bumper sagging, crudely trimmed, air suspension winner . The 89 and down Town Car was a much more solid, classier platform and ran forever with the 5.0 liter in it. The newer generations have 4.6 liters which are poor on oil control.

There are many of your era Town Cars here in NYC that are cabs---virtually all of them smoke or puff oil fumes. The older 5.0 ones running around have 300K+ miles on them and run flawless.