Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'97 Nissan Pickup Alternator/Emergency Brake Light Flashing

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 08:26 AM   #1  
bryndi4
'97 Nissan Pickup Alternator/Emergency Brake Light Flashing

I have a '97 Nissan Extended Cab Pick-up, 4 cylinder. When I start off in the morning everything seems fine except the emergency brake light and the alternator light flash on and off together intermittently. They stay off at idle. Everything is fine, other than the flashing lights, for the first 15 miles, then other light come on, including the ABS light, and the engine sputters but keeps running. When I get to work 10 miles later the battery is dead.

In the afternoon I can jump it and it does the exact same thing - 15 miles fine with only the 2 lights flashing, then the sputtering starts. If I stop to run an errand, however, prior to the sputtering starting the battery holds a charge. It seems that the battery gets drained during the sputtering phase only.

I had both the battery and alternator checked and they both appear to be fine. However, I had them checked with the engine cold in the non-sputtering phase.

Any ideas? One of my thoughts is a bad relay of some sort that is warming up and faulting. I have no idea where to start and any advice would be helpful.

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 08:29 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Faulty alternator in all likelihood.

Do an output test as noted in my "The Basics" post below.

Pitch the battery if it is the original. 5 years is a long time on a battery.

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 10:37 AM   #3  
bryndi4
I've already changed the battery.

The alternator was fine according to the auto parts place. Can it start acting faulty after driving awhile and heating up?

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 03:08 PM   #4  
Joe_F
As I mentioned, do your OWN test with a digital meter as I show in my "The Basics" post.

It may be bad under load. Also check alldata.com for any known bulletins or trouble spots with this model and problem.

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 03:21 PM   #5  
bryndi4
I changed the alternator and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread