Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

yellow froth in under oil cap and tube

12-21-02, 01:52 PM   #1  
yellow froth in under oil cap and tube

I have a 2000 dodge dakota 4x4, 4.9L v-8,with auto transmission. Whenever I change my oil (2.5-3k miles) I've noticed a yellowish white "froth" (for lack of a better description) where I pour in the new oil.

My dad's always told me that "milky" looking oil could be an indication of a head gasket problem, but I don't appear to be losing any antifreeze, or gaining any oil (it's right at the full mark). And when I drain my oil, there's no milky appearance there. I've always owned OLD cars. . 78 mercury zephyr, 83 olds - (hey Joe_F - 128k, a new windshield and still running strong!!) Is this froth something I should be concerned with, or do all the newer vehicles do this?? oh, not sure if you need this or not, but I use Castrol GTX 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil.

Thanks,
Joatmon

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 02:58 PM   #2  
Joe_F
I think you're ok. That's condensation. My sister's 2000 VW Jetta does it too. Not of a concern. If the OIL is milky, then you've got trouble, Houston.

Lol on the other cars. I actually have an 82 Ford Emission Manual and a Chilton book for a Granada & Monarch if you're interested (on Ebay now....lol).

The Olds is a spring chicken. That will run forever .

BTW: I think you mean 4.7 liter V8

12-21-02, 04:19 PM   #3  
Thanks for the info. Yes, Joe, I did mean 4.7. I don't have the 78 anymore - thing was a deathtrap. I can't even think of getting rid of the olds though. Someone offered to buy it a year or so ago, and I told him I couldn't part with it.

Thanks again. .

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 08:34 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Those rear drive GM's always have a way of making an impression on ya . It must be the years of faithful service with little more than upkeep and TLC to keep them running strong .

No 1978 Ford rear drive could touch any rear drive of that or any vintage. GM's rear drive cars were always light years ahead of Ford's.

The 70's were particularly rough to Ford who couldn't seem to do many things right in that decade .

12-22-02, 08:37 AM   #5  
You're right on the money about GM's needing little more than upkeep and TLC. In the last year, aside from oil changes and occasionally spraying the carb with some cleaner, the only expense I've had is the recent windshield replacement, and I had to replace my rear brake pads, which cost all of 3 bucks after I turned in the old ones. heh heh.

130 bucks a year to keep a car is a lot cheaper than monthly car payment, so I can't justify getting rid of her for something else.

Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

12-22-02, 03:58 PM   #6  
Joe_F
My 84 Delta 88 is the same way. It runs great, all I do to it is basic upkeep, cleaning, polishing and keeping it decent.

I got it in 1996 from my uncle for nothing. I put 600 bucks into it at first (me doing the work) to make it my way . After that, it's been great. I could have probably done half the work I did and it would still run, but I'm pretty anal about things working right on it.

It has rewarded me with fine service and a great ride. It flies through the NYS dyno passing with ease, much to the surprise of my friend who is the inspector. He just plugs in the machine and does the test. It comes out PASS on the end usually on the first run .

Long live the GM rear drive---virtually nothing touches it for cost, ride, size, ease of service, cost of parts and more smiles per mile

Search this Thread