Honda trunk release mechanism

Old 12-22-02, 04:28 PM
Honda trunk release mechanism

Honda Civic 1995: The trunk remote mechanism by the drivers seat quit releasing the trunk sometime ago but the key worked fine. Now, we must lift up on the trunk lid when opening with the key. I don't think it is the hydraulic lifters since the trunk remains open with no problems. If it is the lifters are they available other than thru the dealer? Any other suggestion? THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-02, 04:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What's the actual problem/question?

Why the remote in the car doesn't work? Probably a broken cable if so.

If it's why the trunk won't stay up, it's either the gas assist cylinders (if so equipped) or torsion bars in the trunk.

Typically those are dealer parts. I'm not aware that the Honda has gas charged cylinders. If so, the parts store should have them.

Old 12-22-02, 05:15 PM
The problem is

The problem is that the trunk lid does not when the key (or remote is used) unless you pull up on it. It does stay open once it is in position and doesn't seem to be unstable etc or ready to fall down. Is there any release mechanism that needs lubrication?

Old 12-22-02, 07:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'm still not clear on what the problem is....I think you left out some words in your sentence .

If the trunk lid stays up in the full up position, there is nothing that needs to be done. The lifting assists/torsion rods are doing their job.

If the cable release inside doesn't pop the trunk, the cable either fell off or it's broken. Could be a real gazorch to fix if the cable is routed under the carpet and in the interior.

Old 12-22-02, 09:34 PM
It sounds to me that you have a problem with the latching mechanism. You may need to spray the heck out of it with some WD-40 or it may need to be adjusted or replaced. It might have a broken spring on the latch also. Usually when you use the key to unlatch the trunk, the latch part itself is spring loaded and will kinda snap away from the striker plate that is mounted to the body. Thats the click you should hear after you turn the key.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton...683CH10_6.HTML