Land Rover D90 gears won't engage

Old 12-23-02, 12:15 AM
desertdawg
Visiting Guest
Question Land Rover D90 gears won't engage

Can anyone help me with this? I have a 1995 Defender 90 with a manual 5-speed transmission. About two weeks ago, I noticed that my clutch pedal wasn't fully returning after I depressed it to shift. I had to help it up with the tops of my toes. I took a look at the pedal and noticed the spring that pulls it back was broken so I replaced it. The clutch pedal has since been returning okay but in the last few days, it has become harder to shift while I'm driving (the gears don't go in easily so I'm having to "baby" them and wiggle the shifter to get them to engage) and today I couldn't even get the truck into reverse. The shifting is okay while the truck is parked with the engine off but once the engine turns on, I can't get it into gear. It seems, also, that the clutch has a lot of free play until I get it almost to the floor. Would that be something that happened as a result of not having the spring in place for that week or so before it was replaced? Does this sound like a clutch adjustment thing or something far more serious?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-02, 09:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the linkage thoroughly for binding parts, missing or bent parts---you found one wiped out spring, there may be others. Have the dealer's parts dept. make you a printout of the linkage so you can see what springs you are looking for.

Beyond that, the clutch may be worn, and if hydraulically controlled, the master clutch cylinder could be empty of fluid or the cylinder bad as well.