87 Cad Tranny

Old 12-23-02, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
87 Cad Tranny

I have a 1987 Cad Deville with the 4.1 front wheel drive. It is slipping in first gear when you first give it gas. After a short period it stops slipping and is fine through the rest of the gears. I removed the pan and replaced the filter. Their was very little crud in the pan. Is this transmission toast and ready for replacement or should I have an expert look at it. A rebuilt is a $1000 and looks like I can replace it myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-02, 07:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage? Sounds like it's just plain wiped or worn out.

Old 12-23-02, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Milage not known, think you are correct that it's just worn out. Was hoping you would say the whatzamacallit is worn out and it can be replaced for about $2. Think it's about worn out. Thanks for the info

Old 12-24-02, 07:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I don't think there's many parts in a Cadillac that cost 2 bucks. LOL.

If you got 100k on this tranny (THM440T4), that's good. These are problematic.

If the car is in nice shape, get a Goodwrench (GM) reman tranny which will include the latest parts, updates and improvements and will be the best value.

If the car is so-so, pitch it. This car has a 4.1 liter HT4100 engine which is troublesome and not worth bus fare as it is prone to head gasket failure, cooling system woes and engine knocking (as a result of internal cooling leaks).

The RWD Cadillac Fleetwoods of this vintage were far superior in EVERY way to these front drive ones .