ABS & TRAC con

Old 12-24-02, 07:11 PM
megaQ
Visiting Guest
ABS & TRAC con

Have 2001 Chev Venture with the ABS and TRAC CON panel lights on. What is the significance of these and how important is it that I get it to a shop soon? Do not notice any difference in operation. Traction control and braking seem to be okay. Thanks, David

Last edited by megaQ; 12-24-02 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-02, 08:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It means there is fault in the ABS system. It should be looked at by a shop at once and fixed without delay.

The ABS is an important part of the braking system and cannot be compromised.

Old 12-25-02, 10:05 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
if your abs light illuminates it not only means that the system has a fault but it has taken itself offline as well. Therefore you just have regular brakes.

2001 model should be looked at by a dealer.

Old 12-25-02, 12:30 PM
As much as I don't like to contradict Joe (he's got a good head on his shoulders.) these systems are not critical.

Both of these systems are run by the ABS system.

The ABS controls braking to each wheel only when that wheel is about to lock up during braking. The traction control applies the brake automatically to a wheel that is spinning but not getting traction. This will make the energy from the engine go to the wheel on the other side of the car. (If you are on really slick roads and are trying to accelerate quickly you can feel the wheels "trade spin". One will spin, then suddenly the other wheel will be spinning.. then back and forth until the wheels stop spinning.)

So basically with these systems out of commission that means your brakes can lock up and your wheels can spin without electronic control. No big deal really, as long as you are ready for those systems to not be functioning. If you've driven cars with no abs and traction control it'll be just like that.

You will find that your emergency stopping distance will actually improve without abs. But you will be able to lose control more easily. I suggest you get the system checked out if you have the time and money. If not, just keep in mind that these components are no longer functioning (until you get it fixed).

Those lights on the dash could be something as simple as a dirty wheel speed sensor or a loose wire somewhere.

Old 12-25-02, 12:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jason:

NO!!!! Lol. The ABS is designed into that vehicle's (and every one with) design parameters. It is a critical part of it. Cars that don't have ABS just simply don't have that benefit.

With the bad weather upon us, it behooves it to be fixed properly. Additionally as Otter said, it is likely a dealer/warranty issue problem.

Old 12-26-02, 03:47 PM
Good point, Joe. Most of the cars that have it nowdays have it standard.

ABS at least.

Grr, though! It can get so costly! Was this car standard equipped with abs and traction control? I mean.. did they put that same model out without that for an option?

Every time I go to the auto parts store for my brother's '92 s-10 we have a little argument over whether the truck has abs or not. They say it has to at least have rear abs and I say it doesn't. (I did some major work to the back brakes and there's nothing electronic on any of the brakes! No sensor in the diff. housing either.

Weird! But he still keeps control of his truck.

Old 12-26-02, 03:52 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
2001 Venture

ABS standard issue, full function traction control chargeable option on lower end models standard on high end.

Old 12-26-02, 04:32 PM
megaQ
Visiting Guest
ABS & TRAC CON

Thanks to all of you for your information. Of course I like Jason's reply best since I could just keep on keepin on and do nothing. Instead I guess that I will see the Chev svc center. Seems like this vehicle system should be good for longer than 50k mi and two years. Oh yeah, it is a top of the line in the Venture models. Thanks again, David

Old 12-26-02, 04:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bring into the dealer and see what they say. Before going in, check www.alldata.com for any bulletins/recalls on the ABS system. If you find any, print them out and ask to see the full text of them.

Then go to the dealer's manager and see what they will do for you. Tell them you have a bulletin stating a known problem and what will they do for you. If nothing, then call up the Chevy 1-800 hotline and gripe to them and see if they will get the dealer to dance for you.

That's how I'd approach it if it were my van.