mazda will not start

Old 12-25-02, 10:22 AM
flye
Visiting Guest
mazda will not start

my mazda mvp will not start. went from arkansas to colorado fine got up this morning it tries to start but acts like it is not getting gas. could it be water in the gas line?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-02, 10:43 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
TRY TO TAKE THE FUEL LINE OFF TO SEE IF YOUR GETTING GAS OR YOU CAN CHECK THE FUEL PUMP FUSE

Old 12-25-02, 11:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with my "The Basics" post below. Tell us what you find.

Old 12-26-02, 05:55 AM
flye
Visiting Guest
sorry it toke so long to get back. Well nothing worked I guess I will find a shop out here and get it fixed. Thanks for all your help.
Flye

Old 12-26-02, 06:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, we cannot help if you leave out details .

1) Does it have spark? Pull off a plug wire and check. Must have a fat, blue, consistent spark.

2) Pull off the distributor cap. Crank over the engine. Does the rotor turn? If not, broken timing belt.

3) Do you have fuel pressure? Find an Autozone store and rent a fuel pressure gauge to see if you have fuel pressure. If not, likely a bad fuel pump or blown fuse/relay for the pump.

Do that first. Barring these simple checks, then it might be worth it to bring it in.

Old 12-26-02, 08:58 PM
I have a Mazda 929 which had an intermittent starting problem. It would not start on damp days. If it simply sat out overnight in the rain it would not start. A friend who had a similar problem with his car said the problem was the pickup in the distributor. My mechanic checked that and he said it was OK. He then suggested the cold start valve. He checked it to find it was very dirty. After a thorough cleaning, my car started fine, even in damp weather. It's been three weeks now and no further problem. Hope these ideas might prove helpful. Bob

Old 12-31-02, 07:37 PM
flye
Visiting Guest
sorry I didn't get back to you guys, did not have a computer till I got home. I called a wrecker to take it to a shop in Denver. The man driving it got it starter he said he sees it in mazdas a lot in the mountains. The computer in the car has a hard time setting the o2 sensor because of the thin air. After we started it we turned it off took the neg. cable of the battery then put it back on. I guess it reset because it started and had no other problems. We got back to Arkansas just fine. Thanks to everyone who gave me support. Flye