Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Check Engine Light On Again

Visiting Guest

12-25-02, 01:31 PM   #1  
BUBBA 1
Check Engine Light On Again

OWN 1996 THUNDERBIRD 3.8 ENGINE. HAVING SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE.HAVE REPLACED TEMPERATURE SENSOR TO THE COMPUTER WHICH WAS SUGGESTED BY DAVID F BECAUSE THE CODE CAME BACK AS A 172 THAT IS RIGHT BANK ON ENGINE RUNNING TO RICH. IT SEEMED TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM FOR 200 MILES AND NOW LIGHT IS BACK ON AND THE SAME CODE OF 172 IS BACK. THE ENGINES TEMPERATURE IS RUNNING NORMAL HAVE ALSO CHANGED THE AIR FILTER. THE ONLY CODE THE ON BOARD COMPUTER COMES BACK WITH IS THE 0172 I NEED HELP WITH THIS!!!!!!! CAN ANYBODY SOLVE THE MYSTERY??????? THANKS BUBBA

Sponsored Links

12-25-02, 01:51 PM   #2  
have you changed the bank 1 upstream o2 sensor yet?
it may be your problem if you havent done so i would suggest changing it. could be caused by other things such as an injector but if it remained off for 200 miles more than likely it is a bad o2 sensor.

Visiting Guest

12-25-02, 02:40 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with BeJay.

Did you use a scanner to reset the orignal trouble code? That is the proper way to clear codes on an OBDII car.

Visiting Guest

12-25-02, 04:00 PM   #4  
BUBBA 1
Originally posted by bejay
have you changed the bank 1 upstream o2 sensor yet?
it may be your problem if you havent done so i would suggest changing it. could be caused by other things such as an injector but if it remained off for 200 miles more than likely it is a bad o2 sensor.

Visiting Guest

12-25-02, 04:05 PM   #5  
BUBBA 1
YES HAVE CHANGE THE 02 SENSOR AND I DID RESET THE OBD WITH A OBD SCANER IT IS OFF NOW BUT FOR HOW LONG ????? THANK YOU ALL BUBBA 1

12-25-02, 11:40 PM   #6  
Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? Ford issued a Service Bulletin on Contaminated MAF sensors. Follow this link and click on Fuel System and then on the Driveability MAF Sensor TSB. Tou will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open these files as they are in .PDF form.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/cgi-win...s_Chiltons.exe

Search this Thread