Oxygen Sensors

Old 12-25-02, 02:19 PM
Oxygen Sensors

Hi, I own a '95 Mitsu Galant. 2.4 L, SOHC. I need to change the O2 sensors, the car's over 90,000 miles and I'm sure the previous owner has never changed 'em. I'm getting some aweful gas mileage at that. Anyway, I've never done such a thing myself and my Chilton's manual describes the procedure quite simply. Just wondering if this is something I can do with a jack or would I really need to put it on a lift? It's the difference between shelling out $ to take it to a mechanic or saving big $$$ by going the diy route. Thanks for your opinions guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-02, 02:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Easy job. If you can see them/have access to them, it should take you a half hour or so.

Always make sure the car is supported by jack stands. NEVER get under a car only supported by a jack!

Use an open end wrench to loosen the old one, or if you can, buy the special socket that the parts store sell (Lisle has it in their line) that's used to remove it. It's a deep socket with a slot in it.

Spray the old ones good with WD40 to help loosen them. They should come right out.

The new sensors should have anti-seize (like a grey paste) compound already on the threads of the new one.

Make sure you buy the correct ones listed for your car in the catalog. The plugs should match the originals, no modification should be needed.

If you follow the Chilton, you should be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-26-02, 01:04 AM
Thanks a whole lot Joe, I'll do it over the weekend and get right back to you. That's when I can sucker my buddy into giving me a hand. 'till then!

Old 12-26-02, 06:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, good luck. It's a wet and soupy day in NYC today due to the 5" of snow we have gotten.

Time to go outside and fire up the snowblower .