Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Nissan Maxima 02 sensors?

12-25-02, 07:05 PM   #1  
Nissan Maxima 02 sensors?

I've got a 95 Nissan Maxima (V6 engine) and was wondering how many 02 sensors it has...and how long they normally last? The reason I ask is because in just the past two years I've had to replace four 02 sensors, including three this year! The car has 125,000 miles on it but it seems strange that three would go this year. I'm not sure exactly which ones I replaced but would like to know how many my car has (I've been told 3 and also been told 4) and if I should be concerned that they keep going bad. Could this be a symptom of another problem? I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

12-25-02, 09:10 PM   #2  
it doesnt necassarily mean there is another problem a heated o2 sensor is actually post to be changed as maintence and i believe the recomended interval is around 100,000 miles for a heated o2 sensor which your car has, although it is rarely ever done until it sets a code in the computer and turns on the check engine light, things that may cause early failure of the o2 sensor could be a leaking head gasket causing combusted antifreeze to contaminate the o2 sensors wich would be evident by the loss of coolant. an engine that is running excessivly rich would also eventually foul the o2 sesor and cause it to read incorrectly, or any engine repairs where non o2 sensor safe silicone gasket maker was used to make a gasket that could cause the o2 to fail early.

12-25-02, 11:48 PM   #3  
Next time you have an error code come up for O2 sensor post it on one of these forums to see if we can give you a better answer for that particular code. Have you ever changed or cleaned your MAF/VAF sensor?

Visiting Guest

12-26-02, 02:06 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I'm with these guys on this one. Need more information.

12-26-02, 06:20 AM   #5  
Wish I had gotten the error codes for all of those. But I checked my work order receipts and to have some more info, hope it helps. The most recent one was strange...the check engine light came on and when I took it in for diagnosis they told me it was error code PO734 and that it was a problem with the 4th gear on my transmission and referred me to a transmission shop. But the tranny shop told me it was a O2 sensor code! They cleared it out and so I decided to wait and see if it came back on. After a few weeks it did and when I took it back in again this time they did say it was an O2 sensor. I didn't get the error code but they said it was Bank 2, Sensor 1 which was the right rear. It was Christmas Eve when they diagnosed it again so I have done nothing and the light is still on. Any ideas on what I should do? Oh, and I'm not sure if I've ever replaced the MAF/VAF sensor...is that a kind of 02 sensor? Please forgive my ignorance!

Visiting Guest

12-26-02, 06:25 AM   #6  
Joe_F
What brand of O2 sensors are being used? Maybe you got some defective ones .

The MAF sensor is in the air intake hose/air cleaner and probably is not the problem. It meters incoming air into the engine and tells the computer a signal to adjust timing, air/fuel ratio, spark, knock, etc.

I suggest you bring it to a shop that is competent in diagnostics and Nissan vehicles.

You can also check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins or recalls that pertain to this problem.

12-27-02, 01:59 AM   #7  
P0734 A/T 4th Or TCC Signal-This is an automatic transmission error.

Sounds like you are getting the royal run around and at high expense. My next step would be to take it to a Nissan dealer or someone proficient on Nissan and have them pull the codes. Once you get the codes you can post them here. It could also be if they are replacing the o2 sensors with universal sensors and they might not be getting the wiring hooked up in a professional manner. I have always found it best to use OEM wired o2 sensors even if they are more expensive. I wouldnt mention anything to the next shop that you take it to about previous problems...let them tell you what is wrong and demand the error codes they come up with. Thats what you pay for.

01-01-03, 04:09 PM   #8  
Will do. Thanks guys!!!!

OH

01-02-03, 05:27 PM   #9  
Originally posted by gscharlach
Will do. Thanks guys!!!!
Please don't go to the dealer, please!! Just go to www.maxima.org Click on their forums and do a search for the codes and how to pull them. I used to have a 95SE and can tell you that you have one on the front bank of the header pipe. One on near the flex pipe and one near the catalytic converter. The one near the cat converter is not needed. Of course, if you ignore it, you will have a check engine light.

Buy your sensors at Autozone or at www.courtesynissan.com They are a great Nissan dealer who supports the Maxima community. Mention the Maxima.org forums and you get 25% off.

Good luck!
Curt B. Shumaker

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 12:35 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Curt:

Isn't the Nissan link you furnished an authorized dealer? So, why give this poster conflicting advice.

He/she can go to the dealer for the parts if he/she chooses, but you are recommending a SPECIFIC dealer he/she try. Same thing, just for someone else's benefit

Newsflash: Many parts stores sell OEM quality sensors less than many dealers do .

OH

01-03-03, 05:01 AM   #11  
Originally posted by Joe_F
Curt:

Isn't the Nissan link you furnished an authorized dealer? So, why give this poster conflicting advice.
Let's read the post a little more carefully. The listed site will give you 25% off of the parts. I don't know of another Nissan Dealer that will do that and I owned a Maxima for 5 years and was a member of that site for 4. Their price on an Oxygen sensor will be within $30 of the Autozone version. If you feel that Nissan is the only way to go, try that dealer.

Curt B. Shumaker

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 07:30 AM   #12  
Joe_F
Let's read the post more carefully, correct, I agree.

As I said, AZ and other quality parts stores sell OEM or OEM quality parts at substantially less in many cases than the dealer.

Yep, this is right. I know. I have helped field test, analyze, and test the OEMs, aftermarkets, Bosch, Unisia Jecs, NTK and other OEM suppliers' parts.

So, yes, "let's" read the statement correctly. There are many dealers that will "discount" off of list on the net, just go to parts.com or any of the major OEM parts sites.

Your first statement says, "Don't Go to the Dealer, Please", then further down you say, "Well this this Nissan link", which is? Yep, an OEM dealer.

As I said, which are you suggesting the poster do? Be clear in what you recommend, you're talking on both sides here.

OH

01-03-03, 08:10 AM   #13  
You truly are amazing.

Curt B. Shumaker

Last edited by Joe_F; 01-04-03 at 06:55 AM.

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 09:58 AM   #14  
Joe_F
Right, I should be out red-lining my car to test the clutch.

Now that's priceless, dude. You'd be laughed out of creation at any OEM dealer or service center with any integrity.

I am busy---answering questions on this forum with SOUND advice. Yourself?

Haven't seen a post with anything right yet. Keep up your stupidity and the forum will say "bye bye" to you .

OH

01-03-03, 12:21 PM   #15  
Don't threaten me. If you think I am acting "stupid," ban me.

I never suggested redlining a car was a good measure. In fact, in that same statement, I also outlined that the particular methond in questions wasn't advised. You're right that I still haven't learned how to read.

Last edited by Joe_F; 01-04-03 at 06:56 AM.

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 12:30 PM   #16  
Joe_F
Your wish is my command and has already been done. Geez, you've become the bug on the windshield. Stinks, don't it?

Beyond that, if it's not recommended, WHY DID YOU MENTION IT? Why mention something that you wouldn't do for yourself or a friend?

Feeling a little bit like "I shouldn't have said that?"

OH

01-03-03, 12:59 PM   #17  
Feeling a little bit like "I shouldn't have said that?" [/B]
No not really. But you do have about 15 people at my computer right now laughing. I know, I know..you don't care. Why would you? They have all followed this battle with mr. 11,000 posts.

In fact, they are now laughing at me for even suggesting that someone redline their car to check the clutch. I mean, who would do such a silly thing?

You STILL haven't gotten it, have you? I have said it 100 times, what I mentioned in my second suggestion is not truly suggested to those that are concerned about everyday use.

You're right. There is not TSB or bulliten about it. As you mentioned numerous times, and I haven't gotten through my head yet, is that this is NOT RECOMMENDED BY ANYONE AS A VALID TEST. So quit acting like a smart a$$ in asking for a TSB. I know you are right and always ask for OEM references/backing for what you do. I mean, that is the PROPER way to do things!

I am the laugh? No, YOU are the laugh. That's right, I can hear you laughing along with the 15 other folks at my computer right now.

You're so right that the OEM doesn't recommend this method!

Gone...

Last edited by Joe_F; 01-04-03 at 07:00 AM.

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 01:04 PM   #18  
Joe_F
Did you tell those same 15 folks that you recommended someone redline a car to check their clutch? . Now they are REALLY laughing at you.

Cmon Curt, I know you know you're wrong. You can't back up what you said, because it's:

1) Silly
2) Wrong
3) Not recommended by anyone with ANY auto knowledge.

Let's rephrase your statement: I got it a long time ago. That's because I didn't recommend that someone redline their car to check their clutch. Neither does the OEM, Alldata, Autolibrary, or anyone but YOU.

The rest of the world got it a long time ago: Your advice is wrong. Dead wrong. Wrong.

You did get one thing right though, the word "Gone". That's up to the forum administrators for your behavior here though.

Will you now spend the time to read up on some automotive knowledge?

Search this Thread