1998Contour Transmission

Old 12-26-02, 09:19 AM
Lotus
Visiting Guest
1998Contour Transmission

I have a 1998 Contour, 2.5L, auto trans, 90,000 miles. Only when cold, at crusing speed (60 mph or so) it will suddenly shift from 4th to 3rd, then return to 4th, for no appearant reason. When warm it's OK. No other symptoms. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-02, 04:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When's the last time the fluid and filter were changed? How's the condition and level of the fluid?

Barring that, sounds like internal failure. These Contours have some issues with the trannies as I recall. You can check www.alldata.com for any bulletins or issues that pertain to it.

Old 12-31-02, 11:24 AM
Lotus
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Joe. The trans was flushed and the fluid changed about 500 miles ago.

Old 12-31-02, 11:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Was that the first time it was done? Was the filter changed? What's the condition of the fluid and the level now?

Old 01-01-03, 10:20 AM
Lotus
Visiting Guest
Yes, it's the first time the fluid was changed since I've had the car - I bought it at 65,000 miles. The fluid is clean and at the proper level.

Old 01-01-03, 10:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, you may have been the first to do it .

65k on a fluid change is WAY too long. Every 25k or so is best for longer tranny life

Old 02-28-03, 03:14 PM
Lotus
Visiting Guest
Talking 1998 Contour Transmission

The trans started acting up regularly about 3 weeks ago. Stored codes were for the gear selector and the vehicle speed sensor. I changed both (although it seemed odd to have two at once, but it needed to be fixed) and the problem is now gone.