Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Heater Blower Motor

Visiting Guest

12-27-02, 02:58 PM   #1  
jimecc
Heater Blower Motor

This problem exists in a 1990 Cadillac Eldorado. The heater blower motor blows all the time. It can't be shut down with the heater control switch, nor can it be shut down by turning the inition key off and removing the key. The only way to turn the motor off is by disconnecting the wires to the blower motor or disconnecting the negative battery cable. Any suggestions to fix this problem will be appreciated. Thanks - Jim

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-27-02, 03:02 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Stuck fan relay or programmer module.

See the Autolibrary.org link for more R&R/diagnostic ideas.

Visiting Guest

12-28-02, 10:35 AM   #3  
jimecc
Heater Fan Blower Motor

Thanks for the reply and I don't doubt for a minute that you are correct. I'm using a 1990 - 1993 Cadillac Chilton Repair manual and no where in this manual can I find any reference to a Programmer Module and/or a fan relay switch. Would it be possible for you to provide me with a general location of these two items??? Thanks - Jim

Visiting Guest

12-28-02, 09:02 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Again, have you checked the autolibrary.org link as I suggested the first time? The URL is in my signature file below.

Try that, look around there, and let us know what you find.

Visiting Guest

12-29-02, 05:21 AM   #5  
tstokka
chilton manual

chilton manuals are only good for telling you what the owners manual says about the car. you should alway get the actual service manual for your specific vehicle from the manufacturer. When I buy a new car or even used ones from a dealer I ask for the manual, most times they throw it in the deal.

Visiting Guest

12-29-02, 07:38 AM   #6  
jimecc
Blower Motor

Thanks again for the quick responses. I have checked the sites suggested, but no information relative to this problem is available for a 1990 Cadillac Eldorado. I get a pop-up saying that no information is available for my specific automobile. I have also checked all the heater blower motor questions in the automotive forum. I found one that is relative (I Think). It appears to be the same problem, but with a Cadillac DeVille. The solution was to replace the Blower Control Module. The Chilton Manual calls this part an ECC Power Module when discussing the Cadillac Eldorado. I assume these are basically the same part, or at least do a similar function. Are you sure that this model Cadillac has a blower motor relay? The only relays discussed in the Chilton Manual pertain to other things. If anyone knows specifically where either of these parts are located on the car I would appreciate the information. I believe the Blower Control Module, AKA - ECC Power Module, AKA Programmer Module, is located on top of and into the blower motor case (I Think) .

P.S. I agree, the Chilton Manual is worthless when addressing my particular problem.

Thanks Again - Jim

Visiting Guest

12-29-02, 10:18 AM   #7  
Joe_F
It may, it may not. Most Cadillacs have complex HVAC systems with a lot of controls and electronics. You should at minimum buy a 25 dollar yearly Alldata.com subscription which will get you access to the factory style diagrams and information.

The ECC programmer is also called a body control computer/module to my knowledge. It's a metal finned thing. Delco or GM sells it. They are pretty pricey. Such are the things of owning a Cadillac .

Search this Thread