Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'03 Silverado - Whine in Rear End

Visiting Guest

12-27-02, 06:35 PM   #1  
tk1469
'03 Silverado - Whine in Rear End

I have a new '03 Silverado, 2WD, 4.8L, Auto, Limited Slip Diff, HD Susp, 4 wheel disc brakes, with 3K miles. Whenever it is cold - or it has sat for at least an hour - I hear a "whine" from the undercarriage area - maybe near middle or back somewhere - when I drive 25-35 mph. It's more evident when it's cold and doing 25 mph. After 2-3 miles it goes away. If the truck sits for 30-60 minutes - then it comes back - but not as loud than when it sits for a longer period of time.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-27-02, 07:53 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Brand new vehicle---dealer's problem. Bring it back. If nothing is deemed wrong, get that in writing on the repair order. In this way, you'll have record of you complaining in case there is a problem later on.

Might not be enough of them on the road yet to determine if there is a problem. Otter is your man on this one, he works at a GM dealer and could probably furnish some details from his experience of this model.

Visiting Guest

12-27-02, 08:03 PM   #3  
otter_
Joe's right. New truck is not the place for DIY. Should not be any noticeable whine from rear end on a new truck. If dealer cannot diagnose, don't hesitate to get a second opinion. Make sure you keep all copies of all work orders if dealer is unable to diagnose / repair or give legitimate reason for the noise. That way you are covered if something blows up down the road.

I would suggest that you have a shop foreman road test the vehicle with you along for the ride so that you can point out the when and where as far as the noise goes. You'll make their job easier in trying to correct the problem.

Keep us in the loop.

Visiting Guest

12-28-02, 04:44 AM   #4  
tk1469
Joe_F & Otter -
Thanks for the advice. I was going to take it back to the dealer after all this "Holiday" stuff got out of the way - too "crazy" now to worry about this. But - I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas what it might be before I went in and talked with them. I have a pretty good relationship with this dealer - and I keep very very detailed records of any problems or maintenance to all my vehicles so proving something down the road shouldn't be an issue.

What I can't figure out is why it happens just when it's cold and for a few miles. Would a U-Joint do this? A bearing normally acts up when it's hot right??

Anyway - thanks Guys. I'll let you know. It might be a week or two before I have anymore news...

Visiting Guest

12-28-02, 06:07 AM   #5  
otter_
transmission whine, (normal for the HD version, which you don't have), u-joint, yoke, excessive play in crown/pinion, wheel bearing, or normal driveline noise - if your ears are too sensitive.

Any of these could be the culprit.

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 10:12 AM   #6  
tk1469
Fixed - Silverado - Whine in Rear End

Joe_F and Otter -

Finally took the '03 Silverado in for the "Whine" in rear end - for first couple of miles. Dealer found a bad "midship bearing" - apparently there's a bearing in the middle of the driveshaft ??? The GM database has this problem showing up on some of the S10 pickups - but after replacing it the noise has disappeared.

Thought you may want to know. Thanks to both of you for your opinions and suggestions.

Tom.

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 12:59 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Good job and you're welcome.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 02:10 PM   #8  
Yup, me Kevin again. Still haven't fixed that dang Geo. Still figure the TPS has something to do with the fuel pump.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-24-03 at 08:36 PM.

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 04:56 PM   #9  
otter_
tk1469

....I'm glad to hear that the dealer was able to work with you and sort it out.
Happy motoring!

Search this Thread