Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

autobody repair - newbie

Visiting Guest

12-29-02, 05:09 AM   #1  
nonamedad
autobody repair - newbie

Hello all, this is my first time posting here.
I recently bought an 88 YJ Jeep, and it needs body repairs.
Some area with need new thin, while others will need only grinding.
I have never done body repairs before, but I am a fast learner, and I would like to give it a try.
I have no tools, but I will buy the basic ones.
I have access to an air compressor at work.

Can someone tell me the basic tool I need, or direct me to a website where I will have this information.

Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-29-02, 06:57 AM   #2  
Joe_F
I suggest you take a course at a local vocational school and pick up some books at a public library.

Body work is a hands-on learned art and tough to "teach". Ya kinda either have it, or ya don't.

Also, you will need to buy a good assortment of tools for any auto repair, so save up your ducats and plan to spend. Gotta pay if you want to play.

On a vehicle like a Jeep, it is cheaper, easier, and more cost effective to pitch a rotted panel for a new one as new ones are reasonably priced. Also, the final product will look ten times better with new iron over one that has been cobbled together with tons of patches and filler.

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 02:04 AM   #3  
josh1
the single greatest product in the world ...

www.por15.com

I used/use this stuff on 40 year old british car resto. Its sweet.

for tools check out

www.eastwoodcompany.com

they have great tools. theres a top ten sins of body work out there by some hot rod mag this month. Dont recall where i read it but its informative, among other things, never wet sand body filler, and never use spot filler for body repairs. -Josh

Search this Thread