Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

90 pontiac stalls

Visiting Guest

12-30-02, 11:36 AM   #1  
salemkeeper
90 pontiac stalls

I have a 90 Pontiac sunbird convertible 2-liter automatic (not the turbo) that occassionally stalls when I stop. It will not stall if you shift into low before a complete stop. It also does not do this all the time, but there is no common thread (weather, temperature, etc). It stalls like a stick would if you didn;t push the clutch in when you stop (jerks and then dies). It runs like a champ in park and neutral. I haven't tried reverse when its acting up. Any idea what may be ailing my little baby? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-30-02, 01:33 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If it feels like a stick shift car when you forget to push in the clutch when slowing down and it bucks/quits like that, it's a torque converter clutch issue.

If it's an automatic, do this: On the top of the tranny is a square blue plug. Disconnect it. Drive it around for a while. If the problem goes away, the TCC solenoid is wiped. Disconnect it and leave it alone. Not worth repairing on something this old.

01-01-03, 06:16 AM   #3  
Joe I'm shocked! I think this is the first time I've seen you give advise like this! Sounds more like something I'd say, but you are so right (as usual).

Who wants to pull the engine and tranny apart just to get a few more MPG out of it?

This certainly sounds like a torque converter clutch issue. I second Joe's idea. Disconnect it and everything will be fine. You probably won't even notice it's not working.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 07:02 AM   #4  
Alcan
Why not fix it right? A converter clutch solenoid's about 30 bucks and takes about 1 1/2 hours to replace on that car. It's under the trans rear (driver's side) cover. Leaving it disconnected will raise trans temperature and lose about 3-4 mpg.

01-01-03, 07:21 AM   #5  
13-14 year old car? Probably has way over 100k miles.

I didn't know it was that easy to replace, though.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 07:27 AM   #6  
Joe_F
It's not just replacing the solenoid...

GM had a bulletin on internal leakage in the valve body. Involves changing gaskets, drilling, pressure diganosis, etc. Could turn into a gazorch.

Newsflash: It's disconnected on my 89 Cavalier THM125C.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 09:12 AM   #7  
Alcan
99.9% of the time it's the solenoid contaminated with ferrous particles. Solenoid replacement and a fluid/filter change fixes it.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 10:19 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Not all the time.

GM Bulletin #048 "125C, Uncontrolled Lock-Up, Kills Engine at Stop".

Goes into a description of the condition and says, "If you have a 125C that kills the engine when you come to a stop, you have a restricted solenoid, auxiliary valve body cross leaks or both".

Depending on what the poster wants to spend on repairing it, you're looking at a few hundred dollars in parts in labor if you don't do it yourself. No guarantee changing the solenoid will do it and you'll be back to square one with the same problem again .

I'm all for fixing it right the first time, but here's a case of just disconnecting it and being Ok. In fact, we don't even know if it's the poster's problem as we have not heard back from him/her .

Visiting Guest

01-02-03, 08:10 AM   #9  
salemkeeper
I haven't had a chance to get under there yet and check it out. I will update you this weekend. Thanks for all of the information. Its very helpful. I think if it is the solenoid, I'll just disconnect it, as old as it is it gets horrible fuel mileage anyway.

Search this Thread