Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toyotaman quiz

Group Moderator

FL

12-30-02, 04:33 PM   #1  
Toyotaman quiz

Toyotaman (or any other Toy car pro's), if you're out there:

Slight problem with my wife's '95 Camry, 2.2L, AT (Christmas day, yet! LOL). Started getting some erratic shifting: 1-2 shift is delayed and then I think the shift is actually 1-3. Also, initially the problem started out as no 1st. Gives a code 42 which is #1 speed sensor/speedometer/wiring problem. Definitely looks to be an electrical/electronic problem as the tranny op itself is smooth as silk; no secondary indications of internal problems. Ran into some disagreement on this problem from a couple of my technical experts. Anyway, here's the quiz:

#1 speed sensor is located:

a. Tranny
b. Speedometer head
c. Both
d. Neither

Don't want to give away where I stand so far so as not to bias your answer(s).

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-30-02, 04:35 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Two simple solutions:

1) Autolibrary.org below.

2) A Toyota OEM parts microfiche which should give the exploded view of the whole ball of wax.

Group Moderator

FL

12-30-02, 04:40 PM   #3  
!!!

Brain-farted; meant to check the autolibrary, too. But what I'm really looking for is someone who KNOWS rather than what the pubs say (part of the disagreement revolves around manuals, so I'm looking for real-world, eyeball backup on the info).

Group Moderator

FL

12-30-02, 04:43 PM   #4  
Oh, and the local Toyota dealer's parts department is in on this, too, already (in fact they MIGHT be the guilty party in disseminating bad info; will find out tomorrow - I hope).

Group Moderator

FL

12-30-02, 04:58 PM   #5  
FYI, autolibrary was no help; only sensors addressed are for ABS. AT info pretty much limited to R&R of entire unit.

12-31-02, 07:18 AM   #6  
#41 usually refers to speedo, #61 is a trans speed sensor code on Toyotas.

If memory serves me correctly this car dosen't have a speed sensor in the speedo so your code refers to the sensor in the trans. Don't have info avail at this time to verify

Your other problem of not taking off ...Did it not move or did it take off in another gear?

The parts microfiche and the repair manuel have poor correlation as far as terms used. Some times they seem if their wrtten by two diff companys

Larry

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 11:03 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Lol. Such as "Shift solenoid #2" in the parts catalog. LOL. WTF?????

I believe the OEM repair manuals (up until recently) are written in Japanese and translated here for our use. Maybe now, with Toyota producing in America, they have done a better job and it's not so literally translated.

Group Moderator

FL

01-01-03, 02:12 PM   #8  
Well, the cure turned out to be more than one problem (or one problem masking the other). The intermittent problems settled down to basically only having two gears, 1st and 3rd.

When I dropped at my favorite tranny shop, the first thing he said was "probably a shift solenoid; that's about the only thing that ever fails on a Toyota - internal failure almost unheard of" (as opposed to a Taurus tranny that he can rebuild in his sleep!).

Read the codes and only got a 42 which was supposed to be #1 speed sensor. Tranny guy said he recollected that the Toys had one sensor in tranny and one in speedo head and it was possible to troubleshoot by disconnecting them in turn. Well, he called up a transmission technical service group that he is a member of (and pays $ for) and the "expert" told him that the tranny mounted sensor was elimanted in that model year ('95). Conclusion: Replace speedo head ($191!!!)

Replaced speedo head, no change in problem. This is on a Sunday so couldn't talk to the tranny guy. Pulled out my $12.95 Haynes manual and spent about 30 minutes reading and snooping and low and behold located the (supposedly non-existent) #1 speed sensor, which is also the speedo transducer.
Pulled it out and first thing Monday a.m. dropped it on tranny dude's desk to which he said, "well I'll be a s.o.b." So he took me in the back and gave me a quick lesson on various configurations of Toy trannies and found a speed sensor to match mine. Took it home, slipped it in and......no change! Same problem.
Time to read the codes again. Well, no code 42 anymore; NOW a code 63 (#2 shift solenoid!). Got a pair of after market solenoids by way of the tranny guy's supplier for about $80 (vs $180 EACH for oem). Stuck them in last night, slapped on the pan, poured fluid in and drove it for about 20 minutes.....with all gears working, good solid shifts, NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

Told the tranny guy should have gone with the first words out of his mouth (about shift solenoids being most likely) and we'd have been way ahead of the ballgame.

Still don't know why we only got code 42 originally when there was obviously a bad shift solenoid and also don't know if either the speedo head OR the #1 speed sensor were bad.

On the plus side, my wife now drives a '95 Camry with about 20 miles on the odometer (told her that was her new car for Christmas, LOL).

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 05:33 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Errr, that's the roundabout way to solve it, but OK

Ya'd think a tranny "expert" would know how to check these things out and advise you to change them both in the first place

Group Moderator

FL

01-02-03, 05:38 AM   #10  
In their defense it IS a very busy shop (and holiday time besides!) on top of which I was squeezing myself in among the paying customers. Near as I can tell the shift solenoids wouldn't be worth op-checking at $80/pr and have to drain & drop pan AND remove them to do the test. Would have had to ignore the initial trouble code and leap to a conclusion that they were bad in spite of trouble code to the contrary. Actually, we pretty much followed the proper steps right down the list. The only place we erred was in believing the supposed technical assistance "pro" who gave out the bad info on speed sensors; got better info from my $12.95 Haynes manual. All in all, I'm happy; total expenditure of about $300 and everything's working 4.0. First real failure in 145,000 miles of driving.

Visiting Guest

01-02-03, 07:06 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Maybe he should call his transmission tech line and tell 'em they sent him down a goose chase .

Search this Thread