95 lumina and aftermarket remote start

Old 12-31-02, 06:48 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
95 lumina and aftermarket remote start

Has anyone installed an aftermarket remote start into a 95 lumina sedan (or simmillar car)? I was wondering because I don't really want to have 2 remotes on my keychain. The car already has remote locks. Can the aftermarket hook into the remote lock?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-02, 11:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Why not try to get a GM one which should operate the remote start and the locks? It might have been a dealer accessory.

Old 12-31-02, 03:37 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
2 words, dealers=expensive. And I can do it myself. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with this project.

Old 12-31-02, 04:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dealer accessory=correct, designed for the car, works properly. Made to work with the vehicle.

I'm stating to BUY a dealer starter kit and install it yourself.

Old 12-31-02, 05:06 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Yes it can operate the door locks if you buy the right one. Like joe said, one from the dealer will. I think your best bet is to buy an alarm system with a remote start add on. That is what I have, it works great, and you can add in the remote trunk pop too if you have that feature. Most places where you would buy such a device offer free installation, and personally I would let them do it.

Old 01-01-03, 06:08 AM
I've never seen a factory car come with remote start. But they do have aftermarket systems that operate both as a remote starter and to operate your locks. But that willmean lots of extra electrical work to splice into the system to get the loks to work. That would be a waste of time, IMO, since you already have a factory system that operates the locks.

It's not that bad carrying around 2 remotes. You'll save money by purchasing a remote starter system that does not include the remote locks feature, since you don't really need it (and the factory system works the hatch too, which the aftermarket one probably will not.).

I have 2 remotes on my keychain. No body's made fun of me yet.

Old 01-01-03, 06:13 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I am leaning towards the two remotes. Besides its the wifes car and women love to hang a lot of crap off of their keys. Don't they know that it will ruin their tumblers in the ignition. Well thats a whole nother thread

Old 01-01-03, 07:08 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Im tellin ya. you can get an aftermarket system from the dealer that includes remote start, locks and trunk all in one system. But again, from the dealer it is pricey. You can get an alarm system, which includes all three, installed, for less than $300. Remote start alone runs about $180 for a good one with a decent range, not including installation. Remote start takes lots of wiring, and I don't know how good you are with wiring and whatnot, but I think it would be worth it for you to have them install it, they have a tech that has done it hundreds of times, he will do it right, and if for some reason it fails, you have the warranty, most places don't warrant things like that if you install them yourself.