1994 Jeep Wrangler

Old 12-31-02, 03:01 PM
sdherring
Visiting Guest
Question 1994 Jeep Wrangler

My friend has a 1994 Jeep Wrangler I know it has a staight 6 but I don't know much more than that. The problem is there is oil in the air filter. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what will cure this? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-02, 03:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jeeps of this vintage had a problem with the crankcase vent tube (it doesn't use a PCV valve) stuffing up and cracking. Check that line from the filter to the valve cover thoroughly. If it's brittle, get a replacement from the dealer.

Barring that, wasted engine with blowby on borrowed time.

Old 01-03-03, 02:21 PM
sdherring
Visiting Guest
More Info

It looks worse than I thought. The oil has filled up the air box and totally saturated the filter. It sprayed everywhere. It left a big puddle in the driveway. They won't accept my answer. They keep saying the cat converter is clogged???. I've never heard of the that. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. By the way, the vent tube looked fine and clear.

Old 01-03-03, 03:04 PM
I'm afraid Joe is correct.If you do not have a pcv system problem,you have excessive blowby in the engine.

Old 01-03-03, 04:36 PM
worn engine

I am with Joe the engine is worn out and you have blowby caused by ring wear I bet if you take a compression test you will find low pressures.There is nothing you can do but rebuild.