Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1994 Jeep Wrangler

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 03:01 PM   #1  
sdherring
1994 Jeep Wrangler

My friend has a 1994 Jeep Wrangler I know it has a staight 6 but I don't know much more than that. The problem is there is oil in the air filter. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what will cure this? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 03:27 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Jeeps of this vintage had a problem with the crankcase vent tube (it doesn't use a PCV valve) stuffing up and cracking. Check that line from the filter to the valve cover thoroughly. If it's brittle, get a replacement from the dealer.

Barring that, wasted engine with blowby on borrowed time.

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 02:21 PM   #3  
sdherring
More Info

It looks worse than I thought. The oil has filled up the air box and totally saturated the filter. It sprayed everywhere. It left a big puddle in the driveway. They won't accept my answer. They keep saying the cat converter is clogged???. I've never heard of the that. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. By the way, the vent tube looked fine and clear.

01-03-03, 03:04 PM   #4  
I'm afraid Joe is correct.If you do not have a pcv system problem,you have excessive blowby in the engine.

TX

01-03-03, 04:36 PM   #5  
worn engine

I am with Joe the engine is worn out and you have blowby caused by ring wear I bet if you take a compression test you will find low pressures.There is nothing you can do but rebuild.

Search this Thread