Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ranger electrical

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 03:19 PM   #1  
rangerdude
ranger electrical

1992 Ford Ranger XLT
4 cylinder manual single cab

Problem: Engine isnt starting
Symptoms: when key is turned, it makes one loud click each second. its not the rapid, low volume click of a dead battery. battery read 4 amps.

What Happened: We installed a new Kenwood KAC-628 Amplifier. All connections were made and checked 3 times by 3 people for accuracy. when all preperations were made, we turned ignition to ACC. All lights, instruments, audio worked correctly, amplifier showed power. But when turned from acc to start, the above symptoms happened. No ignition. All fuses were checked, none blown. all wiring was checked a 4th time, no misconnections or unintentional groundings. We then cleaned the battery terminals, no change. Then we took everything back off. All new connections were taken off, and it didnt fix the problem.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 03:24 PM   #2  
Joe_F
What's the condition of the battery? Did you try charging it or jumping it?

Does the starter solenoid click? Might be your problem.

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 04:27 PM   #3  
rangerdude
solenoid

ok, I replaced the starter solenoid, and when I crank it it makes the rapid click sound, which Im guessing is the alternator, so that part is fixed, Ive got the battery on a charger, and hopefully my problem is solved. Hopefully it wont kill the new one too when I hook the amplifier back up. Thank you.

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 04:46 PM   #4  
Joe_F
My guess is you killed the battery when doing the install of the radio. Charge it up and see what you get.

Search this Thread