explorer transmission problem

Old 12-31-02, 06:50 PM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
Angry explorer transmission problem

got the transmission filter and fluid change on the explorer at 67000 miles.So when ever you first start the car in the morn. or night and put in drive(D) the engine just rev's? does not move.You have to give it about 20sec. to go ito gear.But it will not do it again the rest of the day.Only the first start of the day.
Talk to the dealer who did the work and of course the say there people did no wrong.I say BS. What could it be.Please help

Old 12-31-02, 07:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Year of the vehicle? Was it the first time the tranny was every serviced? If so, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long---should be done every 25k with a new filter on the dot like clockwork

How is the condition of the fluid now? The level?

Barring that, it sounds like the beginnings of internal failure---weak pump.

Old 12-31-02, 07:43 PM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
the year is 1996. the tran. was change at 45000. and at 67000 the fluid is clean.it only does it about 3 times a week.not all the time.

Old 12-31-02, 07:50 PM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
don't have a problem with the trans. shifting gears. the problem is the first start up. put it in drive and it just revs.after that no problem. the fluid is full and red

Old 12-31-02, 08:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
45k if the first time is STILL 20k too long.

As stated, it likely has a weak pump which makes it slow to shift in the morning.

Old 12-31-02, 08:24 PM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS

Will it be expensive to fix.

Old 01-01-03, 07:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You may be looking at a rebuilt transmission .

Have it checked out by a competent transmission shop or another Ford dealer.

Old 03-03-03, 06:47 PM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
UPDATE

Got the the trans fix. Someone told me to change the fluid and filter AGAIN. So i did and guess what it works now. don't know why it works don't care and it only cost $65. Haven't had no more problems.

ONE VERY HAPPY MAN

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: