Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine dies on 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 06:41 AM   #1  
Roger Philbeck

My 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer sometimes dies and when recranked it appears to run on several cylinders for a short period of time. It seems to idle OK when this condition occurs and has limited power when placed in gear and accelerator pressure is applied to move forward. On several occasions it has seemed to backfire through the carburetor when accelerator pressure is applied. It recovers to normal operation after several minutes and runs fine until the next time. What are the causes of this problem?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 07:30 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You don't mention mileage or much else about the vehicle, but it could be a timing chain issue, or more than likely, a carburetor in need of rebuild or adjustment.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 08:16 AM   #3  
Roger Philbeck

Joe, Thanks for your reply. The vehicle has 100K miles. The carburetor was rebuilt last year. I didn't think a engine would recover from a timing chain issue. Please explain. Would a clogged gas line filter cause this problem?

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 08:44 AM   #4  
fordman30
when was the last time the fuel filter(s) been replaced?

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 10:26 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I'll explain more when I know more about the vehicle. Tell us what has been done maintenance wise in the past year or so.

As Fordman points out, was the fuel filter changed regularly?

Visiting Guest

01-02-03, 04:43 AM   #6  
Roger Philbeck

The fuel filter has not been changed in at least five years. Realizing that, I changed it yesterday and went for about a 5 mile test drive. It didn't die during the drive, so I am hoping that changing the filter corrected the problem. Please elaborate on other component failures in the engine that could cause the problem. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

01-02-03, 06:15 AM   #7  
fordman30
a dirty fuel filter can make the vehicle run like crap.that is the reason they recommend to change them when it time to change them.

Visiting Guest

01-02-03, 06:45 AM   #8  
Joe_F
What is so hard about telling us what has been done to the truck? It only helps us help you . We're guessing otherwise....

A bad timing chain will cause it to backfire as a timing setup is a chain and a cam and crank gear. When they get slack, they cause the timing to be off. This in turn can cause backfiring through the carburetor in bad cases. Replacement of the chain and gears is necessary. This is a fairly extensive job.

Barring that, the carburetor could have been poorly rebuilt/adjusted and that could be causing the trouble.

These vehicles were poor in the fuel/carburetion and engine control department and like typical AMC fashion, a hodge podge of parts.

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 04:42 AM   #9  
Roger Philbeck
OK Joe. The vehicle has been fairly well maintained since it was new. The spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor button are changed every 25K miles. The oil, oil filter are changed every 2K miles. The air filter is changed every 6K miles. I rebuilt and adjusted the carburetor myself. I have not changed the mixture adjustment or the idle speed since the rebuild. What puzzles me is that the engine will die, then restart running poorly initially and then completely recover to running very well. Maybe the fuel filter that I changed was the culprit. I have taken several short trips since replacing it and the engine has not died. If it dies again, what are some possible things other than the timing chain that I can check out to determine the cause of the condition?

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 07:42 AM   #10  
Joe_F
25k on tuneups on something like that is way too long . First thing. More like 15k.

The fuel filter should be changed every year on the dot, because fuel can be of poor quality.

What was changed during the carburetor rebuild? These are pesky carburetors (it's a Motorcraft 2 bbl) to get right. Were all the control parts such as the choke pulloff, float, choke stat replaced? If you reused old parts, they could be old and tired.

Carburetion troubles could explain your problems and this is a notoriously pesky carburetor.

Visiting Guest

01-04-03, 05:59 AM   #11  
Roger Philbeck
On the carburetor rebuild, the control parts were not changed. All of the components that came in the carburetor kit were replaced.

Visiting Guest

01-04-03, 06:32 AM   #12  
Joe_F
Old and tired control parts will contribute to a poorly running/hesitant vehicle. They should be pitched with every carburetor rebuild--cheap enough to avoid doing it twice.

Search this Thread