Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2002 Durango 4.7L- V8- 5 speed auto didn't go into reverse

PA

01-01-03, 01:52 PM   #1  
2002 Durango 4.7L- V8- 5 speed auto didn't go into reverse

I just got this Durango with a 5 speed automatic and it has 4500 miles on it. I put the truck into reverse the other day and I saw that the indicator on the dash said "R". When I took my foot off of the brake, it rolled forward. When I gassed it, it was in neutral. I went back to park, then back to reverse and everything was fine. I believe that it did it one other time also. Any suggestions? Is this a sign of things to come, an adjustment problem, or a fluke? What do you think?

Sponsored Links

TX

01-01-03, 02:08 PM   #2  
my 2 cents

I say dont mess with it take it in it is a new truck let them mess with it.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 02:10 PM   #3  
Joe_F
My 2 bucks

I'm with Michael. Dealer's problem, not yours.

PA

01-01-03, 05:44 PM   #4  
Oh..I agree with you guys completely. I have no intention of touching this thing. For what these things cost they should send a guy to my house to look at it LOL... I was only curious as to wheather this is something that someone had seen before, or if it was something that just happens to these 5 speed autos.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 07:47 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Tough to say as I believe the 2002 Durango is a "redesigned" model and may have some new tranny options in it.

The 5 speed is likely a Getrag or New Process. Could be anything but let the dealer handle it.

Hopefully your 02 Durango is better than my sister's 1999. That truck was junk. It was to the dealer under warranty about 10 times, including EVERY day back and forth one week and it got horrible fuel mileage and drove terrible. Rough, crude and I think my 80 Trans Am without shocks in it would have ridden better. LOL.

My sister pitched it when the lease was up for a 2002 Tahoe. Far superior to anything Chrysler puts out. Rides great, easy to service and has features galore. Nary a problem in close to a year's worth of ownership! By this time of ownership on the Dodge, it had been back to the dealer 5 times!!!

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 07:56 PM   #6  
otter_
Joe, you sure about it being a getrag or new process? Original post states that it's an automatic.

-more than likely a sign of bad things to come if its not an indicator problem. In any case, get it to a dealer.

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 08:50 PM   #7  
Joe_F
I got the "it's a new tranny" part right (5 speed), but the maker wrong (it's an automatic). LOL.

Still a dealer problem though. LOL

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 09:00 PM   #8  
transman2u
i work at a dodge dealer full time trans tech u have a loss of prime i bet its the filter not seating in the pump housing have seen a lot of these in my opinion these 5-45RFE are the best trans chrysler has made in a long time i know i have recondition one and replaced two of these in the last year and a half most of the ones a do are the 46re been doing two of these a day for last 13 yrs lol

Search this Thread