Smoke from tailpipe when car starts?

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-03, 04:17 PM
Smoke from tailpipe when car starts?

Hello all and Happy New Year!
I have the same concern with both my cars...a 95 Nissan Maxima and a 94 Toyota Corolla. Both of them blow white/light gray smoke out of the tailpipe for about 5 seconds or so upon starting (usually only on cold starts). They are both well over 100K miles but I have them serviced regularly and neither seems to be burning or leaking oil.
What are the possible causes of this and should I be concerned? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-03, 04:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's probably more like blue/grey smoke....

Indicative of bad valve stem seals....fairly extensive repair. Leave it alone until the engine needs rebuilding

Old 01-01-03, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your reply Joe!
Haven't really noticed any blue but definitely gray.

If it is bad valve stem seals and I leave them alone, how many more miles do you think I can safely get out of the car(s)?
I wouldn't rebuild the engine or do the repair if it is that extensive (the wife wants a new car) but since these are both paid off I want to avoid any new car payments as long as possible!

Old 01-01-03, 07:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Does either car use oil between oil changes?
Does either car fail emissions inspection?
Does either car run poorly as a result of this?

If not, drive it till it stops, rots or falls to pieces . If you're like me with car upkeep, that's a lifetime. LOL.

Old 01-01-03, 08:44 PM
rudyhiebert
Visiting Guest
Smoke At Start-up

If in doubt, analyze the oil. It could be engine coolant leaking into the cylinders or engine oil.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe_F
[B]Does either car use oil between oil changes?
Does either car fail emissions inspection?
Does either car run poorly as a result of this?

Old 01-02-03, 06:54 AM
OK, that is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks to both of you!

Old 01-11-03, 06:12 PM
slappythegoat
Visiting Guest
valve guide seals are quite easy to repair. for each cylinder take out spark plug and with proper air adapter scerw it into the spark plug hole and fill cylinder with air, 90lbs is what i fill to. once that is established, the valve will not fall into cilinder providing valve has no corrossion around seat. after filling with air you can usually hear if air is leaking around valve seat. if so don't remove valve spring or you could loose the vavle in cylinder. with proper valve tool you can remove spring clip, spring and remove guide seal, install new guide seal install spring and spring clip. replace many guide seals this way.

Old 01-26-03, 03:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Off Topic Post

XXXXPost DeletedXXXX

Topics that are off topic and do not make a contribution to the topic of discussion and are not "dedicated to provide you the info you need to do any Home Repair or Home Improvement project right" will be edited and/or deleted.

Abuse of the forums will result in guests, members, or moderators being permanently banned from the website.

twelvepole

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-26-03 at 03:34 PM.
Closed Thread