Random Chime

Old 01-01-03, 07:12 PM
Random Chime

2001 Blazer LS 2dr 4.3 6cyl 15.5k

I was driving home on the Clearview today in the rain. I had the radio and the defroster on and all of a sudden I hear my "key in ignition" chime go off 4x then it stopped. Needless to say I'm more than a little perplexed as to why this would happen. I've had no problem with the car so far and the only maintenance its needed is oil changes and a tire rotation. I have been driving it a lot this week. 400miles in 2 days, otherwise I drive about 200 miles a week. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. (PS its going to the dealer Friday for recall work regarding the brake lamps)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-03, 07:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have them check the chime noise problem too. Could be a bad buzzer box.

Old 01-01-03, 08:06 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
chime 4x

alerts driver from "you left your turn signal on, dummy" to "better check your instrument cluster" for anything from high temp to low fuel. If it does it again for no reason, sounds like a cluster or other electronic malfunction.

Old 01-03-03, 10:35 AM
UPDATE

I brough it in today and 2 hours later I get a call saying everything was fixed (under warranty) but they had some suggested service. Change all filters, clean throttle body, clean EGR (or was it PCV or both?)valve etc. I thought 15k might be a little early so I asked how much. The qoute was $292. I figured if it really was time do all this I could probably pay mch less at my own mechanic. Is it time to do this already? Thanks. Could I do this stuff myself?

Old 01-03-03, 10:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure you can. Start with the owner's manuals---believe it or not, there are some good R&R procedures in the later GM manuals for the basic stuff.

You can try autolibrary.org below---but it's a little too new for that. Better suggestion is to pick up a GM manual if you're into the vehicle for the long haul.

Old 01-03-03, 01:03 PM
Well I dropped the car off at my mechanic. $60 to clean the throttle body and $27 for the fuel filter. I'll do the air filter myself. Saved myself quite a bit of money.

Old 01-04-03, 11:30 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
and.....was the egr cleaned as well?