"Check Engine" light on my Ford Explorer

Old 01-01-03, 05:56 PM
Rick1011
Visiting Guest
Unhappy "Check Engine" light on my Ford Explorer

What can I do to fix it, I heard is a sensor and that I could change it myself, but where is it?
please help.
Thanks Rick

Old 01-01-03, 07:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bring it to any Autozone, have them scan it for codes and post what you find here.

The year and engine size of the Explorer would be a collosal help.

Old 01-01-03, 08:02 PM
Rick1011
Visiting Guest
Here it is

For Explorer 8 cyl 4x4, year : 1999

Old 01-01-03, 08:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have AZ scan it for you and tell us what they find.

Old 01-02-03, 05:49 AM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
Rick
I got a 96 with the same problem. THe dealer told me 99% of the time it was the EGR sensor. If you got an O'Reilly store where you are,go there they can tell you where it's at. Yes, you can do it your self. My item no. is EGR155. it also a LINE code of BWD
Hope this helps

Old 01-02-03, 10:48 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I got a 96 with the same problem. THe dealer told me 99% of the time it was the EGR sensor.
I'd say that '99%' is a little high. The PFE/DPFE sensors have a very high failure rate, but it's unwise to replace parts before you even bother to diagnose the problem. Your fix could be something simple & nearly free, like a dirty MAF sensor, which is also extremely common. A $3 can of electronic parts cleaner can cure that problem.

Get the codes scanned as Joe_F suggested & post them here.

Old 01-03-03, 04:18 AM
3bonadys
Visiting Guest
His being a 99 it could be as simple as the gas cap was'nt screwed on tight enough. Ford also has that problem. All he has to do is fill his tank up, and give it a few days.I also had that problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: