Clutch Replacement

Old 01-03-03, 11:35 AM
lanem
Visiting Guest
Clutch Replacement

Hi --
I am planning on having my clutch replaced on my 1996 Honda Civic Ex (100K miles) by a repair shop. This being my first clutch replacement, I don't want to get taken for a ride. What are the things I should expect to look out for? What are the parts they should be replacing? Any common scams once they have the tranny out? General prices I have been quoted are 600 to 700 P&L. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-03, 12:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Clutch kits come new and remanufactured. Choose an OEM quality replacement part from Honda or a reliable aftermarket source. Some of the Honda reman parts (if available) are very competitively priced and are excellent quality.

You change the clutch disc, throwout bearing and pressure plate and bleed the system in the case of hydraulic clutches. Also, the flywheel is inspected and resurfaced.

Sounds about right on your application price-wise.

Old 01-05-03, 06:50 AM
I'm sure by now, you've had the job done, but as general info for you and anyone else looking to have this type of job done, ask about having the rear main seal (crank shaft seal) replaced at the same time. As they will have the tranny out, and the flywheel off for resurfacing, the time usually required to replace the seal is an additional 5-10 minutes.