91 Ford Ranger needs new brake lines

Old 01-03-03, 12:57 PM
Question 91 Ford Ranger needs new brake lines

I lost my brakes and was leaking fluid at the rear of the truck behind the bumper area. My local Merchant's shop tells me that I need new rear brake lines on my truck. What is a decent price for replacing both sides?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-03, 01:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Send both lines (even if broken) to Fine Lines, Inline Tube or Classic Tube and they will fabricate an exact replacement from the original ones. This is the best way to have it look and work right and avoid headaches with bending lines.

You can even get them made up in stainless steel so they don't rot out.

Old 01-03-03, 02:15 PM
While there are some things I don't mind doing, I don't really think I want to attempt the brake lines. I read in the archives that the gas tank may need to be dropped...yikes.

Do you have any ballpark idea of what a fair parts/labor charge is to have them do it? They seem to be terribly busy today, so they only told me what I needed, but still haven't given me a price yet. If it's reasonable, I want to tell to do it...but, what's reasonable? Thanks!

Old 01-03-03, 04:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'm suggesting THEY install the lines that one of these companies makes up for you.

Where possible, you want a one piece fitted line like the OEM line. Not in all cases does the OEM offer that, but the companies I mentioned can duplicate just about any line out there.

Tough to say on price. Anywhere from 300 bucks up, depending on what's rotted, the labor and the work needed to restore the braking system to new condition.

Old 01-03-03, 05:53 PM
Let's not leave out bleeding the brakes. With frozen bleeder screws or worse yet, frozen wheel cylinders (common) will up the $.

Old 01-04-03, 05:55 AM
Thanks so much for the info and clearing up my misunderstanding.

Joe, you seem to have a concern about the type of brake line installed...why is that? Will most shops cut a dangerous corner that I should know about?...like making a Toyota line work on my Ford, or something? I just don't know anything about brake lines. Thanks!

Old 01-04-03, 06:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Brakes aren't something to gamble with, in any regard.

One piece, fitted lines like what the OEM uses in production aren't usually available for most applications. Usually the parts book says, "cut from bulk tubing and bend to fit".

That's: 1) A hassle, 2) leaves room for error, 3) leaves room for leaks if not done right, 4) looks like crap, and 5) time consuming--adds to labor.

When I found out there are companies that will duplicate virtually any line out there, I said, "Now that's smart". I ordered a fuel pump to carburetor line for my 79 Trans Am 400. The first company got it wrong, refunded my money. Second company duplicated the first company's error, but when I called them, they said, "We know what we did...pulled the wrong part". The second part they sent was dead on and fit and looked great! .

If Ford offers one piece, fitted lines, go with that. If not, see about having one piece lines made up by one of the companies I mentioned.

If you do them in stainless steel (costs more), the lines will outlast the vehicle .

Old 01-04-03, 06:53 AM
Thanks so much. I didn't understand that piecemeal thing you were talking about originally, but now I think I got it. I will be sure to take the URL you mentioned with me just in case they run into a prob. I'm sure that no shop wants a customer to tell them how to do things, but if I can offer them a cheaper, easier solution, maybe it will set a precendent and they will start using this place too. I've seen it happen with insulation contractors, why not auto repair?

Thanks again for all your help!

Search this Thread