2001 explorer sport sideview mirror

Old 01-03-03, 01:37 PM
hiIneedsomehelp
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 2001 explorer sport sideview mirror

Hi,
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. My sideview mirror on the driver side door got ran into a concrete pillar and the just reflective mirror part got dislodged from it's casing. The power functions in the casing seemed to still work but I could not get the mirror back into it's sockets correctly and recently the mirror fell off while I was driving and the car in back of me ran over it and it's in a million pieces now.

So my question is, how do I remove the mirror casing from the door and reattach a new one? What kind of tools will I need (screwdriver, wrench, powertools, etc..) Also, the mirror is a power mirror with a puddle lamp -- are there any wiring/electrical issues I should be aware of?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cars but I really really would like to do it myself and if someone could give me a somewhat detailed general idea of how it all works or point me to some sources I could look into I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-03, 04:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hit the Ford dealer's parts department for an exploded view of the mirror and what parts are available.

Sometimes, the pivots the glass ride on can be replaced (GM has this), other times, the mirror glass comes with pivots, and still other times, the whole shabang is the only way the OEM services it. Depends on the mirror and year.

See what the FoMoCo folks have to say.

Old 01-05-03, 03:29 AM
I think you have to replace the complete mirror on this,but i could be wrong.If so check the junk yards.

Search this Thread