Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

78 Corolla Water In Engine?

Visiting Guest

01-04-03, 12:13 PM   #1  
daniel.johnston
78 Corolla Water In Engine?

If the head comes back good.
Is it possible the water is coming from the intake manifold?

Sponsored Links

AL

01-04-03, 07:09 PM   #2  
I don't know what engine is in the Corolla, but my son had a problem with water in the crankcase of the 20-R engine in his truck (this engine is found in other Toyota applications as well). After a good bit of soul-searching and engine tear-down I doscovered that the timing chain follower had worn out and allowed the chain to slap the side of the timing chain cover until a hold was worn in an area in which coolant circulated. This allowed coolant to flow into the crancase. What a mess! The repair entailed replacing the timing chain, cover, follower and gears, as well as cleaning out the aluminum filings in the oil pan. Appearantly this is not an uncommon problem with the 20-R and 22-R engines, if you let your timing chain follower wear too much before replacement.

Visiting Guest

01-05-03, 11:09 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Yes it is possible. Please do not start a new reply each time you post. Use the reply button to keep continuity of information and so all can follow along.

Thiggy gave you some good advice too.

Search this Thread