flushing radiator additives

Old 01-04-03, 02:30 PM
AUXESIS
Visiting Guest
flushing radiator additives

Will the additives that you can buy for cleaning the radiator and heater core work or am I wasting my money, 1995 chev.caprice, LT1-5.7. Problem no heat, system full.
hope you can help. thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-03, 03:40 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
heater

If the fan is blowing right it could be the thermostat... Answer to your question is no....

Old 01-05-03, 11:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No as Fordman stated.

Flush and fill the system at the recommended intervals as noted in the maintenance schedule and there should be no problem.

Barring that, warm up the car. Are both heater hoses going to the firewall hot? If they are, it's a vent door issue inside the vehicle.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-05-03, 01:38 PM
AUXESIS
Visiting Guest
radiator fush

Joe, thank you and the ford man for your repleys, will see if the prestone flush I bought does the trick, a friend also said that there's a product called CLR that is on the market that will clean corrostion and buildup also, I have not read the label on this product to see if it will harm my system, Thanks again....
AUXESIS

Old 01-05-03, 03:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, but the question is WHY?

As we've told you, that stuff is a waste of money. If the vehicle was originally filled with Dexcool (extended life coolant) there have been reports of clogging due to that.

I never bought into "extended drain/life" anything. Fluids are the lifeblood of any vehicle. I drain my antifreeze yearly. All of my cooling systems are spotless and the heat in all my cars will melt your eyeballs...lol.

Maintenance over "technology". Time and time again this has been proven.

Leave that stuff on the shelf and get to the heart of the problem to solve it.

Old 01-05-03, 08:14 PM
AUXESIS
Visiting Guest
Heat 95 caprice

Joe, Thanks again, I'll stay the course and let you know what the outcome is, I think you know already......auxesis

Old 01-06-03, 03:28 AM
same topic question for joe

Joe I read that you replace your coolant once a year (good practice) My question is my new 2003 Toyota has that High mileage red stuff in it that you says clogs up things.
If I were to switch to the green prestone and flush once a year and I have a problem with the engine in the warranty pierod they probably would say its my fault because I used the green prestone.What should I do? Is the red stuff that bad? How about if I replace it once a year? What is the cost difference between the green prestone and the red stuff?

Old 01-06-03, 03:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can buy extended life coolant on sale at most parts stores, so I'd say it varies.

My car: I change it every year, but my cars use the green stuff.

ONLY stick with what the OEM recommends, even if that's Dexcool. The cooling system requires it for other reasons.

Old 01-06-03, 03:39 AM
Ok good deal

Ok joe I will flush once a year with the red stuff because that is whats in the new Toyota.This is the first car with it seems like all the new cars have it.Gone are the days of the green prestone like I used in my old 76 Nova.Thanks

Old 01-06-03, 09:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, those days are seemingly gone (for some of us that drive newer cars...lol).

Old 01-06-03, 05:50 PM
The Toyota is the same as green it's just red (it's not like dexcool)

Larry

Search this Thread