summit no start

Old 01-04-03, 05:19 PM
jenni117
Visiting Guest
summit no start

i have a 1990 eagle summit 1.5. i drove it to an appointment, got back in it, would not start. engine cranks. had it towed home. checked spark, about a 1/4 in bluish white spark was present. checked fuel, fuel pressure was low. replaced fuel pump. still no start. timing has been checked also. is it possible the crankshaft position sensor is bad? or could it be the fuel drive in the computer? i really can't afford to take it to a repair shop. i hope someone has some suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-03, 07:57 PM
I nice blue spark is a good start. You could try a shot of starting fluid into the air intake and see if it starts for a few seconds. If so I would think you still have a fuel supply/pressure problem. Is this fuel injected or carb? Have you checked the actual fuel pressure again?

Old 01-05-03, 10:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Stevo.

Old 01-05-03, 11:31 AM
jenni117
Visiting Guest
summit no start

it is fuel injected, multiple port. have fuel from the filter and coming from the vent. it will run a few seconds with starting fluid.

Old 01-05-03, 12:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What is the fuel pressure as measured with a fuel pressure gauge?

If you don't know, hit Autozone, rent one, measure the pressure and tell us what it is.

The fuel pressure specs are found in autolibrary.org below or with the fuel pressure tester you rent.

Old 01-08-03, 05:31 PM
jenni117
Visiting Guest
summit no start

I have not been able to locate a fuel pressure tester for this car.It requires special adapters. All I can advise is the fuel pressure has increased greatly with the new pump. It will spray from the fire wall (at the filter) over the front of the engine.It seems fuel is going everywhere except the injectors are not firing. There is a current to the injectors. What controls the injectors?

Old 01-08-03, 05:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The computer and the driver circuit in the same.

Spraying fuel tells you nothing. It has to be the right pressure and volume or it won't run at all. I'm sure I've seen pressure gauges for these. Should have a standard Schrader type valve on the rail.

Star Hoffman Products is one company that makes a nice fuel pressure tester. Their URL is www.starhoffman.com to my recollection or try "Star Auto Products" in www.google.com

Old 01-08-03, 06:24 PM
Jenni, these are tough vehicles to work on in person much less over the web as even some of the online sites dont have any diagnostic procedures listed for them. I cant tell if you have a Crankshaft Position Sensor(Spark Control) or a Camshaft Position Sensor(injector control) which would mean to me that the injector timing may come from the distributor and the ECM(computer). There may be another sensor or one in the distributor thats bad. It is possible that the driver circuit in the ECM for the injectors is shot and you need a new computer. I believe that this was an import and may have Mitsubishi componenets in it. If that is the case than the early 90's were very bad years for ECM(computer) problems. Bad capacitors would leak and cause strange problems. Computers run about $225 on up rebuilt. You could try www.foreignecurepair.com to send your ECM for testing or you could try www.car-part.com for a used one.

These are all theoretical assumptions on my part. If you do take it away to have it serviced make sure the garage is famalier with Eagles.

Old 01-09-03, 10:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Stevo:

This is a version of the very lackluster 1.5 Mitsubishi engine used in this vintage. You are correct.

An Eagle Summit is nothing more that another poorly rebadged Mitsubishi Mirage. Same heap, different nameplate.

Original poster: You must determine if you have a fuel or ignition/timing problem before delving into much. Stevo gave you some good advice.

Any parts store can send the computer out for testing through their reman electronics supplier and advise if it is bad or not. All grounds must be sound to the computer or you will have the effect of a bad computer. A very expensive mistake if you are wrong, so get it tested first as suggested.

Old 01-09-03, 08:25 PM
jenni117
Visiting Guest
summit no start

I appreciate all of the advice you have given me. I have found someone who has a pressure tester that will work on my car. Going to give it a go this weekend. It does have a crankcase position sensor on the distributor. Fortunately, it has tested OK. Have traced connections and grounds. All appear to be good. Everything I have read about these ECUs reports a large number of failures in the early 90s models. But that will be my last resort. Once again, thanks for all of your advice.