Tire wobbles

Old 01-05-03, 10:14 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Question Tire wobbles

I have a 1989 Dodge Aires. Can you give a idea of what would cause the wheel to wobble and how much to repair? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-03, 10:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bent rim, defective tire, out of balance wheel, missing wheel weight, loose wheel, worn out suspension components, cracked unibody structure, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Anywhere from 50 bucks to exceeding the value of the vehicle. Need much more detail on the problem.

Swap the tires front to back. If the problem goes away or is now present elsewhere, it is wheel and tire related.

Old 01-05-03, 10:24 AM
As you begin the tire swap as Joe mentioned, before loostening lug nuts (tire will need to be jacked up) take the tire at 9 and 3 postions, and shake the tire. this will help determine if there is a worn part such as a tie rod end.
As always work safe!

Old 01-05-03, 10:28 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
wheel wobbles

I can hear a knocking sound from underneath.

Old 01-05-03, 10:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Something suspension wise is loose and sounds ready to come apart. Get it fixed without delay. Have it towed to a repair shop for their assessment.

Do not drive with wobbly wheels like that.

Old 01-05-03, 11:09 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
wheel wobbles

Can you tell me what it might be so I will know if it is a tough repair for a friend to do? If we are talking garage bill, will this be a $$$expensive problem?

Old 01-05-03, 11:17 AM
I have to agree with Joe. It sounds like time for a tow truck!
There's too many things dealing directly with safe driving that can be wrong with the car.
As for a price, I honestly can't give you any. It depends on what the actual problem is, what the labor rate is in your area of the country, ect..
I've only been in/on this forum since this morning, but have to say from what I've read from Joe, you can be safe following his advice!

Old 01-05-03, 11:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It depends on what the problem is!!!!!

If your friend is a competent person you trust, surely have him/her look at it for you. If nothing else, if he/she can determine the problem and cannot do the repair, at least you will have an idea what to expect when you bring it in.

A front end should NEVER get to the point of wear like that. Cars should have regular inspections where such things are spotted and repaired before they get to the breaking point. When that happens it becomes:

1) Potentially dangerous;
2) Inconvenient as things tend to break when no one can fix them or parts can't be found;
3) Expensive as you do not think or "shop around", you're likely to go to the first person to do the repair as you are in a rush to get it fixed.

Here in NYC, the labor would vary from other parts of the country or a dealer. Some guys around here would tell you, "The car's not worth it". Others will tell you it can be fixed and do it reasonably. Others charge too much. All depends.

You should pick your car mechanic the same way you choose your doctor as the two people use vastly similar techniques to repair people or vehicles. Choose people you trust, that have gotten good reputations from neighbors and relatives and those devoid of any complaints or problems from government agencies/consumer watchdogs.

Choose shops that give written estimates, stick close to them, ones that treat you with respect and charge fairly, ones that are ASE certified and employ technicians that are, ones that will take the time to show you what needs to be replaced on your car and why (if in doubt, ask for the old parts back or for them to show you how it's worn out or why it needs to be replaced).

If you're on the up and up, you're less likely to be screwed.

Old 01-05-03, 11:39 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
wheel wobbles

Thank you both for your time and advise. I will certainly have it looked at right away. Thanks again