Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Whine noise slowing down

01-05-03, 02:50 PM   #1  
Whine noise slowing down

I have a 91 S-10 Blazer 4X4. Every time I let off of the gas I hear a quite loud whine coming from beneath. It only does it whilie slowing down though. I have come to the conclusion that when there is no load on the drivetrain it does not make a sound. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-05-03, 03:50 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Does it in 4 or 2 wheel drive? One or the other?

Maintenance history on the vehicle? Mileage?

Sounds like something's wasted in the transfer case or tranny.

01-05-03, 06:47 PM   #3  
It does this in both 2 and 4WD, but when it is 4WD it is much quieter than when it is in 2WD. Im guesing youll say something is wrong with the transmission, since it does it out of 4WD also, so what do you think could be wrong and approximately how much will it be to fix it.

Visiting Guest

01-06-03, 03:43 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Depends really on what's wrong.

01-06-03, 11:02 PM   #5  
My guess is that you have an internal tranny problem or a problem in the convertor. Have you checked/changed all the fluids and filters? Sounds like its time for a rebuild or better yet a completely rebuilt tranny from GM or other reliable source.

TX

01-07-03, 03:29 AM   #6  
My 2 cents

I had a 76 Nova that my dad gave me it also had a whine when coasting the problem was the rear end.I replaced the whole rear end and that fixed it.The gears in the rear end sometimes get sloppy and whine when there is no load

Visiting Guest

01-07-03, 07:17 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I agree with Michael, but you'd have to isolate the noise first.

Usually whining is tranny/transfer case related, but it depends on the noise. Tough to say without hearing it.

Search this Thread