Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anybody have luck replacing CV boots with the Split Boot type?

Visiting Guest

01-06-03, 05:04 PM   #1  
tropicbird
Anybody have luck replacing CV boots with the Split Boot type?

I have a 91 Camry with a tear in the outer CV boot. My options seem to be trying to use a split boot replacement from the auto parts store, or taking the car to the shop and having the boot replaced. The split boot is much cheaper, but I have doubts that the boot will last under use. The shop says it's almost as cheap to replace the entire axle as they have to pull the half shaft to change the boot with an OEM part anyway. Should I ask them to just change the boot, go ahead and replace the axle while they are at it, or try and do it myself with the split boot kit?

Thanks in advance!

Bootless in NC

Sponsored Links

01-06-03, 05:44 PM   #2  
I don't really care for the split boots but have used a few at the customers request.I usually used the ones that come with the small bolts/screws that hold them together.They seem to hold up ok but i've heard the glue together type come apart.
You might be able to get an aftermarket axle fairly cheap if you decide to go that way.I'd purchase the axle myself,that way you won't have to pay the shops marked up price.

Group Moderator

FL

01-06-03, 06:08 PM   #3  
If those are original shafts, replace them. False economy in trying to band-aid fix parts that are likely at end of their service life. Already replaced the shfats in my wife's '95 (at about 125k if I remember correctly).

01-06-03, 10:31 PM   #4  
If the boot is torn than more than likely the joint is on it way out due to contamination and loss of lube. I would spend the money on a complete rebuilt axle...you'll be time and money ahead.

Visiting Guest

01-07-03, 07:18 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I'm with these guys. Right on the money. Rebuilt axle is the best way.

Visiting Guest

01-09-03, 09:33 AM   #6  
redneck
They are junk, I put one one my beretta work car and grease flew out for the next few days, been several months and over 10k later--still no "clicking" from the joints. At 150k this beretta will likely need new shafts soon anyway! Or I will donate it--trying to get 200k out of it without putting much $ into it--been great so far.

Visiting Guest

01-09-03, 10:03 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Split boots are junk and not worth bus fare.

The axles are the way to go as people have all correctly stated here.

Search this Thread